Saturday, May 08, 2021

Saturday 8 th May 2021...a relaxing day!!

This morning Karen, Willie and I went down to a small marina parking lot where a ceremony was taking place at noon...













BELLINGHAM, Wash. — A totem pole carved at the Lummi Nation from a 400-year-old red cedar will begin a cross-country journey next month, evoking an urgent call to protect sacred lands and waters of Indigenous people.

The journey, called the Red Road to DC, will culminate in early June in Washington, D.C., 

The expedition will start at the Lummi Nation outside Bellingham, Washington, and will make stops at Nez Perce traditional lands; Bears Ears National Monument in Utah; the Grand Canyon; Chaco Canyon, New Mexico; the Black Hills of South Dakota; and the Missouri River, at the crossing of the Dakota Access Pipeline, where thousands protested its construction near Native lands.

This fall, the pole will be featured at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. A special exhibition was developed by The Natural History Museum and House of Tears Carvers at the Lummi Nation, which is gifting the pole to the Biden administration.

Head carver and Lummi tribal citizen Jewell Praying Wolf James said he and a team ranging in age from 4 to 70 carved the pole beginning this winter.

They carved the pole one figure at a time, led by spirit, inspiration and dreams, James said. The figures include Chinook salmon, a wolf, a bear, an eagle diving to Earth, and even a child in jail — a reference to children presently incarcerated at the U.S.-Mexico border.


It was a very powerful and interesting story and ceremony.....











This afternoon I just relaxed and enjoyed some time on the computer planning my next days journey.


We had a wonderful take out dinner from the one of two restaurants in the island, snitzel dinner, delicious!!


Then Willie and I went for a beach walk....






me taking a photo of Willie taking a photo of me...






My great find what I already named the Frida rock!!










I was not playing chicken just no traffic!!





To end the day a long soak in the hot tub!!


Stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!!


No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...