Friday, August 31, 2018

Friday 31st August 2018....🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾

Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits!!!! As it is now after midnight...


Well it seems finally a break in the weather a bit overcast this morning...I just relaxed over breakfast did some planning for next week and read...


Around 10 am I decided to walk and check out the neighbourhood this is a quiet area of Jamaica with such a huge ethnic mix.

Passed here...





Came back home for noon to watch afternoon tennis it is cool watching live knowing I shall be in that stadium in a few hours.


Yesterday at the supermarket I bought a Metro card for 32 dollars the card is good for unlimited journeys on both bus and train for a period of seven days and the card does not commence until you first use it..so I am good till next Friday and then I will just pay as I go.


My ticket tonight does not allow me into the stadium till 6 pm so I left the apartment at 5 pm walked the couple of minutes to outside the supermarket where I caught a local bus that took me to the train station..there I got on the F train which stops right at the stadium....for my first time using the system it was pretty easy ride!





The crowds were huge ...





but everyone seems friendly and the attendants and all the workers seem to have smiles on their faces in what must be at times a frustrating job....they are very clear on what can be brought into the stadium tonight not an issue for me but for the next three days I am here from noon till maybe midnight no backpacks are allowed but I do have a folding cooler bag that fits the dimensions and I can load up with food so I took that with me tonight and was able to take it in.


Arthur Ashe the famous African American superstar has the stadium named after him and I have a reserved seat the same seat for the whole time I am there...obviously it is quite high but it is behind the server which is the only way to see the games and l like the location.








The tickets I have also give me access to any other stadium in the general admission seating so I can watch other games close up should be fun during the long weekend.


The match was scheduled to start at 7 pm but the match from the day time session was still being played so like thousands of others I sat on a bench and watched the big screen and saw Nadal fight off a scare to advance to the next round!!!


No the problem was you have 15000 people leaving the stadium and the same waiting to get in......there was a wait of about 45 minutes and the Williams match did not start till after 8pm...


The first game pitted the William sisters against each other..the crowd was electric and it was a fascinating game and it must be so hard to play against a sibling at such a high level and import tournament and who do the Parents cheer for????


Venus the older sister joked that the last time they played against each other it was not fair it was two against one....meaning that Serena was pregnant!!


Well the game really did not live up to the hype it was very one sided and Serena came away with an easy victory!!!





The next game featured one of my favourite players De Potro from Argentina and Ferdasco from Spain....


Another great game.....












It was two sets in favour of Del Potro and it was also midnight and I was not totally sure about the bus times so I decided to leave.....getting home was just as easy as getting to the stadium except I had to wait about thirty minutes for the bus.....it was not scary at all and a I got back to the apartment at 1.30am!!


So another bucket list item checked off!!!!


Better get to sleep as I am back tomorrow to watch these players...anybody know them?????










Yashi Kochi!!

4 comments:

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Wow! I can't think of a better way to do your favourite thing! Enjoy!

Croft said...

I know you are enjoying yourself Les. Have fun!

Dee Tillotson said...

Yep, watching the 3rd round men's singles Kyrgios vs Federer right now on ESPN. Gosh, they play so fast, thank goodness for program replay on some of the shots! You are getting around the "hood" so well, it seems you are fitting right in.

mexicokid said...

I am like a kid in a candy store for the first time...lp

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...