Thursday, August 23, 2018

Thursday 23 rd August 2018......ferry time!!

Before I get into today’s journey a few mundane things....I travel a lot on back roads where the speed limits vary and I do not want to get a ticket but my speedometer is in KM although in small letters which I cannot read it does show MPH...SOOOOOOOOO this morning I checked my GPS and adjusted the settings to MPH now it shows my speed in miles....smart guy..yes???





The other issue was that since I picked up Little Bluey the radio has not worked nothing shows on the screen when I turn it on...being the handy man that I am I reached out and both Gracie and Croft and Beach told me it was more than likely a blown fuse and when I passed an auto parts store to stop in.....so I did this morning and this young guy came out checked all the fuses and told me some were a little loose and he pushed them in but told me they were OK....he invited me to come in the store and he got on his computer and told me that this is a regular problem with my make of car and the problem is.....wait for it...makes no sense to me......The inner circuit board comes loose from the main mother board and needs to be replaced!!!  What did he just say???


He then told me I really need to find a VW dealership and said good luck there are none around.....I thanked him a lot!!


Another thing I found out that I can access audio books on my iPad from the Nanaimo library and listen to them without internet..so with the books..my own music and singing and thinking I am fine....I shall just wait till I return to SMA and get it fixed there!!


OK today had breakfast never saw my hosts and was on the road by 9am heading to visit Fort Macon...about a two hour drive...










A beautiful and safe place for a fort on a white sand dune peninsula...









The fort is really well restored and lots of audio information points...



























The next part of my drive was to Cedar Island where I had made a 4pm ferry reservation for the ferry to the Outer Banks......on the drive I passed this supermarket 



The last time I saw one of these stores was in 1980 in Bermuda did know they existed anymore!!


At the ferry terminal







It left on time








 and just over two hours of really only ocean..








....I had booked an Airbnb in the small village by the ferry terminal and it is above the owners Magic Bean Coffee Bazaar....it was hard to find a room that was not 200 dollars..this one was 100 dollars Canadian and it will do me fine for a one night’s sleep.....my room is funky with a communal kitchen and fridge and bathroom ..I can handle that....


Once of the very easy to find the coffee shop






And the hostess waiting and showed me to my room...told you it was hippie and funky like!!!









Everything is clean and I have my own fridge so it is just fine.


Had a cuppa and relaxed and then walked into the village...it is like going back in time...lots of golf carts for transportation.....lots of long haired men...very cool!!


My hostess recommended a Pizza restaurant and it was an amazing pizza with lots left over for tomorrow...walked back and took a hot shower and now almost time for a Netflix offering!!!


Where I am tonight..in Ocracoke Island on the outer banks..





Yashi Kochi!!

2 comments:

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

An amazing drive along the outer islands. The intra coastal water way is on my bucket list… Clever solution with the GPS!

mexicokid said...

Yes it is a different drive and yes I finally got smart...lp

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...