Thursday, March 05, 2020

Thursday 5th March 2020...Day 23!!!!


The main reason to come to this town was to do the ten mile return hike to the Bridge to nowhere.....



Scenery along the drive to the trail head.









I had researched the route which Involved 12 river crossings and I was prepared with lots of drinks, food and four pairs of socks and two towels and I was at the trailhead by 8.15am.


The first part of the trail was easy and when I came to the first crossing I took off my shoes and socks and waded through the cold refreshing water.





At the second crossing I threw my shows to the opposite bank to give me a better hold of my hiking pole crossing the river.





The third crossing was where the problem started....I threw my left shoe but it hit the bank and rolled into the water...no worries when I got over there I picked it up and emptied the water and put my sock back on...


The fourth crossing is a here disaster almost struck...I had my shoes and socks off and ready to cross the river and threw my left show to the other bank...just....my right shoe I gave more loft and watched as it hit a tree branch and fell into the rushing river going downstream....I quickly waded into the river and was getting wet and panicky and trying to retrieve my shoe I got close once but it drifted away thankfully to get hooked up on a big stone....never been so happy to see that old shoe....


It was at this point that I decided for the rest of the crossings I would just wade through the water shoes and socks intact, which really was not so bad.


There was a total of six crossings on the way up and it was a tough hike through some gorgeous scenery.....







Rounded the bend and came to the bridge and now I know why they have the name they do for it...





Fantastic photo opportunities on the other side of the bridge and a good stop for lunch...










Fresh socks on for the return trip and just waded right through the river crossings...





Not a problem...


I was gone seven hours and a fun, I can say that now, and great hike!!


Ten miles is almost a stretch for me but one I feel blessed to be able to complete...although I must admit this evening I am more than a tad pooped.


Happy birthday to a special friend....hope you had a great day Gail!!!


Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...