Saturday, May 09, 2020

Saturday 9th May 2020..Day 84!!

This morning I decided after breakfast to go down

to the tennis courts and hit balls at the tennis wall as the courts are still closed.


imagine my delight when I got there and three guys had made a makeshift court using the fence from the tennis wall for the net and they asked me if I wanted to make up a doubles team.....of course I said yes and we played for over two hours..it was not perfect of course but it sure was fun to be hitting balls again.....they asked me if I wanted to play again tomorrow and I am going down again to play then.....felt really good to be on the courts!!





This afternoon I took Boomer for a walk into the trails close to the house and he was happy to be off leash and free of that collar!!!












Heather and Kirby made home made burgers for dinner which were really great!!


I want to give you an up date on my situation it is a little complicated!!


I am a Canadian citizen and have been a resident of the province of British Columbia since 1993.


To receive health care benefits you have to reside in the province at least six months every year and obviously I have lost those benefits being away most of my time in Mexico.


I still retain BC as my home province, pay taxes, have a mailing address and two bank accounts.


My driving licence is due to expire on my birthday 22 Nd of this month so I went in the other day to renew my licence and was shocked when they punched my name in their computer it showed that I was no longer a resident of B.C. and therefore they don’t think they can re new my licence.......the lady told me she would take my photo, take my fee, which I would not get back if they refused to issue me a licence and submit the paperwork.


She then issued me an interim licence which I thought would expire on my birthday but it is good till 22 Nd June, which is good for me because I thought I would have no licence after the 22 Nd.


So now I have to wait and see what the authorities will do.


The next glitch is when I went to re new my insurance, which they did for three months....I asked them if it was possible to insure a car with out a driving licence and she told me no.....


So if I do not get my licence I cannot buy a car and that is the end of that.


Another complication is that if I was to get my licence and buy a car I cannot get into the USA..I called border patrol and explained my situation that I am a Canadian with a Canadian passport but I do have a Temporary Resident visa embossed in my passport and that I live in Mexico and want to drive home..he told me that is not considered essential  travel and I would not be allowed in!!


I thought that would classify as essential travel!!   But he did tell me to check back after the 21 st of this month as they were going to re visit those restrictions!!!


So you can see most of my choices are taken out of my control...so here I am eight weeks in and waiting.


I do have some options which is to stay here a few more months apply for my driving licence telling them that I am now back in Canada and have been here since 15th March, obtain a driving licence and buy a car and hope the borders have opened up.


The  other option is to fly back to Mexico...a car in SMA is not a need really I do have the scooter.....


So going to sit tight and see how these weeks unfold.


Stay safe and healthy!!!


Yashi Kochi!!

3 comments:

Peter and Shelagh said...

Goodness, what a mess. Time will tell. Good luck Les. Cheers, Shelagh

Elaine May said...

Hi Les
I think you need to do further research on needing a driver's licence to own a car. I've known people who can no longer drive and own a car, hire a driver or have friends drive them. I feel badly over the problems you have had in renewing your licence and being told you are no longer a citizen of BC. It makes me ashamed to be a Canadian. Surely our country can do better than this. Good luck and do ask someone else about this.
Elaine in Salt Air, BC

elainemay@shaw.ca

mexicokid said...

Thank you both..hoping it will all work out cheers les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...