Sunday, May 06, 2018

Sunday 6th May 2018. Day 33!!!!

As you can see from the blogs below this I have trouble posting today’s blog so I hope this comes through.

We start at last night and the flamenco show, a first for me, difficult to say this but we were almost too close a very intimate small cave and we had front row seats so my photos are not great.....she was a talented and beautiful dancer...the man on the guitar out of this world and the man singing..well let me say I did not really care for his voice he seemed a lot of the time to be screaming but I guess that is the passion and the beauty of 💃...it was thoroughly enjoyable evening and afterwards we walked and saw the Alhambra in lights.











This is where I am heading today..

Monachil is a tiny village situated only 8 kilometres from the centre of Granada. Despite its proximity, it remains a place that is relatively undiscovered by mass tourism. The boundaries of the province of Monachil are fairly extensive and include several peaks over 3000m, including Europe's most southerly ski station – Pradollano, Sierra Nevada.
Los Cahorros gorge - Los Cahorros de Monachil
4333_Fill_670_0.jpg




The impressive Los Cahorros gorge is situated 2 kilometres from the sleepy village centre. Until very recently, the gorge was only really known and appreciated in rock climbing circles, the steep limestone cliffs offering numerous routes for climbers. 
Word is beginning to spread with an increasing number of people finding their way to this natural paradise. 
As with most villages in the Sierra Nevada national park, the hiking in this area is second to none.
The hanging bridges of Monachil
One route in particular, is exceptionally beautiful. And suitable for families. A walk alongside and through the Rio Monachil - the Monachil river. 
Unbeatable views, waterfalls, plenty of rock pools for swimming, narrow caves and tunnels that you have to crawl through or hang off the rock face, walking alongside acequias that date back to Moorish times and, of course, the famous hanging bridges.
The hike takes you through some spectacular Andalucian countryside.
4337_Fill_670_0.jpg




The walk is suitable all times of the year, but is particularly stunning in Spring and Autumn. The lush valley is home to numerous fruit trees (apple, cherry, pomegranate), wild flowers and herbs (lavender,thyme, rosemary), all interspaced with almond and olive trees. 
If wanting to swim, i suggest going in the summer months. The Monachil river has its source in La Velata - one of Spain's highest mountains. The water is clean and cold. Very cold. A kind of cold that is only really welcomed on a hot summer's day. 
4336_Fill_670_0.jpg





Despite the hanging bridges appearing very daunting at first glance - the longest is 55m long and is suspended a good 15m off the river. The bridges are very safe and time-tested. 
They do move and sway a bit while crossing, but it just adds to the fun. Severe vertigo sufferers may have second thoughts though!
4362_Fill_670_0.jpg




If following the full route, there are four hanging bridges to cross. The largest, is the first. A couple of the smaller ones, have sections missing and look fairly decrepit.....but they are regularly checked and maintained. 
We have been going for years and have never heard of any accidents or problems. The river itself has never been too full or fast flowing, if feeling unsure or unstable, you can walk through the water without any trouble.


This was my destination today Gracie was going to have a lazy morning and then do some shopping and exploring her old haunts from five years ago.

I had been given directions where to get the bus but had a little difficulty finding the correct bus stop four bus drivers told me four different ones..eventually found the right stop and had to wait 30 minutes for the bus.

I had read on line that on Sunday’s the bus does not go down to the village but stops 2 km away and then you have to walk into the village which I did....

Hard to believe so close to the ancient city
 are these beautiful mountains and rivers.









It was all up hill to the start of the trail and the views from the top were pretty awesome!




In the shot above check out the red dot in the middle...now with zoom!!










This photo shows the path I shall be taking down to the river.



Right in the middle of the above photo is this...






At the river the path was narrow and at some points there were metal holders. Nailed into the rock to hold onto..











Other times you had to pass like this...





It was a wonderful time and the sounds of the water were soothing.....

The bridges to cross were fantastic and the longest had a great waterfall at one end!!













I came to the end of the track and had a choice of going back the same way or heading on the other side of the river and up into the mountains and that is the choice I made..to reach the summit was hard but the views so rewarding....



Looking back down into the river gorge..








After the summit the path going down was lovely and fairly easy...











Eventually came back to my starting point tired but happy.  I walked to the end of town and decided rather than walk the 2 km back to the bust stop and wait I don’t know how long for a bus I would try to hitch hike!

Had my thumb out two minutes when a car stopped and the young man driving opened the door I jumped in and in the back seat was Andreas, three years old all decked out in full soccer gear and I turned around to say hello and he put his hand out for me to shake....I was flabbergasted how cute and reminds me of those priceless moments in Mexico where some small happening brightens your day.

They dropped me off maybe 200 yards from the apartment how lucky was that and I was back six hours after I left tired I reckon I walked about 18 km but well satisfied.

Had a rest and then we walked into town and I treated Gracie to dinner...don’t think I am being nice this is in repayment for the card games I keep losing and I still owe he six more dinners!!!

Tomorrow the big day of the Alhambra tour and then soothing Arabian baths!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!

2 comments:

Rick said...

Les, photos did not post except the header photo.

mexicokid said...

Yes I know not sure think it is slow internet will try again cheers les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...