Friday, March 11, 2022

Friday 11 th March 2022!! from the past!!

 For those of my followers who are not really interested in the tennis posts I have been posting here ….today I promise a post without the word tennis in it!!!!!


I am taking you back to the 22 nd of May 1969 but before I tell you about this day a little bit of history…


I was raised by my parents who were third generation Salvation Army Christians and one of their doctrines was that you do not smoke or drink so growing up I never even had a sip of wine or beer……


Flash forward to my teen years and my ambition was to become a professional soccer player and although quite a great player no where good enough to make a living so I joined the police force as a Police Cadet and when I turned 19 I became a fully fledged Police officer in Sheffield City police force!!


I was living in digs as my parents had moved back to their town of birth for a promotion for my Dad and then I went and lived with a family whose son was also a young police officer like myself, Derek and I worked the same shifts and we became good friends.


Even in the police service I chose not to drink or smoke and life was good……


So May 22 nd and Derek and I had flown to the Spanish island of Majorca to celebrate my 21 st birthday!!!





I do not remember too much about this holiday but I do remember I met Nancie, a nurse from London and we spent time together……


On the evening of my special birthday Derek took me to a down town bar and promptly told me that I had to get drunk once in my life….I remember drinking Rum and cokes from a big tall glass and when ever my glass was em I would ask for more, meaning coke, but it must have been filled with rum….


Photo proof of that night!!





Anyway the inevitable happened and I got rip roaring drunk….Derek helped me stager back to the hotel and who was in the lobby waiting for me but Nancie, looking lovely, but I think everyone and everything was looking lovely to me…..


I remember her helping me upstairs to her room and then she helped me out onto the balcony……..what a romantic setting, the stars, the moon, the lapping of the ocean waves…this beautiful woman undoing the buttons on my shirt and I was 21 with my whole life ahead of me!!!


Sadly my next recollection is waking up stark naked on the bathroom floor of my own hotel room feeling like I was about to die…..


It is hard to describe how horrible I felt and later that evening I went to Nancie’s room and the door was opened by a couple of guys who told me they checked in just now and did not know a Nancie…..


I checked in with the front desk to be told she checked out that morning…I did not have any contact information for her and so I sit here tonight wondering what happened in that room and how Nancie is…..


Of course I never had another drink since!!!


Apart from not writing about tennis the reason I told you this story is that my sister in law, Janet and Malc are going to Majorca next week for a holiday……….I wonder what room they will stay in?????  Do you think it could be my room????


Stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!!

2 comments:

Kevin Read said...

Ha... great story! You have no children... that you know of...

mexicokid said...

Will always be a question mark🌈

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...