Thursday, November 05, 2020

Thursday 5 th November 2020....a special day in England!!

This  morning I had a 9am dental appointment.....the lady where I have been going for the last ten years and where I used to take Daniela and Paola has moved or closed not sure which.


I was given a recommendation of another dentist in an office very close to my casita and I was there on time and so was the young lady dentist.


Her office was state of the art equipment and she practised very safe precautions....she gave me an examination and a clean and it was really great.


This is the part that I do not understand the total cost of this was 500 pesos....figure that out in your own currency..it is just amazing!!


I then went and dropped off Gracie’s car for a service and I pick it up mañana..so I came home and took the dogs for a walk around the neighbourhood.....not the best for them or me but at least they got out and this is the first day in five weeks they have not been hiking!!


Back home...





I then went to my place to water the plants and took some photos...


My good friend Gregg  came over a couple of days ago and moved the TV around the corner where I will be able to watch it in my new chair.....





So the mirror and tv are now in their new places...


I really do like this apartment it feels so airy, comfortable and safe!!


Tonight Martha came over for her English class......this will be the last one as Gracie comes home and Tues and I move back to my place but Gracie does want to con with Martha and they are going to do an English/Spanish class one night a week..it is so easy she just lives like one minute away and her English is extremely good!!


Now time for some soccer I think!!


This is an important day in England and also a day I used to always get I. Trouble letting off fire crackers!!


The Gunpowder Plot conspirators, led by Robert Catesby, were zealous Roman Catholics enraged at King James Ifor refusing to grant greater religious tolerance to Catholics. They planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament(Palace of Westminster) during the state opening of Parliament, intending to kill the king and members of Parliament in order to clear the way to reestablishing Catholic rule in England. The plan failed when the conspirators were betrayed. One of them, Guy Fawkes, was taken into custody the evening before the attack, in the cellar where the explosives to be used were stashed. The other conspirators were all either killed resisting capture or—like Fawkes—tried, convicted, and executed. In the aftermath, Parliament declared November 5 a national day of thanksgiving, and the first celebration of it took place in 1606.

Today Guy Fawkes Day is celebrated in the United Kingdom, and in a number of countries that were formerly part of the British Empire, with parades, fireworks, bonfires, and food. Straw effigies of Fawkes are tossed on the bonfire, as are—in more recent years in some places—those of contemporary political figures. Traditionally, children carried these effigies, called “Guys,” through the streets in the days leading up to Guy Fawkes Day and asked passersby for “a penny for the guy,” often reciting rhymes associated with the occasion, the best known of which dates from the 18th century:

146143-050-B0AC3BCF.jpg

Guy Fawkes effigy

On Guy Fawkes Day, effigies of the conspirator Guy Fawkes are tossed into bonfires.


Remember, remember, the fifth of November

Gunpowder treason and plot

We see no reason

Why Gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot….

Fireworks, a major component of most Guy Fawkes Day celebrations, represent the explosives that were never used by the plotters. Guards perform an annual search of the Parliament building to check for potential arsonists, although it is more ceremonial than serious. Lewes, in southeastern England, is the site of a celebration of Guy Fawkes Day that has a distinctly local flavour, involving six bonfire societies whose memberships are grounded in family history stretching back for generations.


Stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!

5 comments:

Kevin Read said...

This is the part that I do not understand the total cost of this was 500 pesos....figure that out in your own currency..it is just amazing!!

Even more amazing is that (because you are a gringo in San Miguel) you overpaid. We get ours done for 300 pesos. :-)

mexicokid said...

Actually that is not true...Martha, my student, talked about this and she told that is the going price for locals but obviously so many cannot even afford that price..cheers les

Kevin Read said...

And you could be right. San Miguel is certainly more expensive than many other parts of Mexico.

mexicokid said...

That is true but the people and culture and kindness makes up for that🌈

Kevin Read said...

As they do in most parts of the country. :-)

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...