Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Wednesday 15th April 2020..Day 60!!!!

The same morning routine and also another wonderful sunny day......


I planned a big hike today knowing that Boomer would not be coming along and I drove to Port Alberni and down to the trail head of the Alberni inlet trail...





I was on the trail by 11 am and at first very beautiful forest and flat trail....






That did not last long and then it was all up hill.....








Some nice views on the way up....







Crossed over some logging roads and passed a waterfall






 still climbing before eventually coming down to the inlet where I watching these guys working whilst I had lunch and sun bathed!!!













The way back was a circular route and this also was steep.....


What do you see here?



See it now??




More great scenery on the way up..










...the trails were really well marked till I came to this....





I thought I knew that I did not want to go up the mountain so I took the left trail.....big mistake......I climbed and climbed and climbed and was getting no where so I decided to turn around and come back to the sign and take that route......


This proved to be wrong as well.....I think what happened I finished up following logging tapes instead of trail markers!!


Long story short I got hopelessly lost.....I had not seen a single soul all day so I sat for a few minutes and thought about my options.....the first thing I did was not to panic.....I had about four hours of day light and lots of water.


I pulled out my cell phone and was surprised to see I had service so I turned on the GPS and again surprised it picked my track up and I punched in directions for the trail head car park and followed her directions and by golly she was spot on..about 90 minutes later she brought me back to the original trail..and then down to the car.....I was gone over 6 hours and I reckon I hiked 19 km!!!!


I had fresh water and snacks in the car and I was happy to sit down thankful that yet again I was safe and healthy!!


The return journey should have been one hour but it took me almost two hours as along the highway it was blocked for a very serious accident involving a motor bike and an SUV.....when I passed the scene it was horrific...so sad!!


Did not get home till 7.30pm and was straight into a long hot shower!!


I am a tired boy!!


Stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!!

2 comments:

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Wow, thanks to miss GPS you got back to the car... All's well that ends well...

mexicokid said...

So true..thanks les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...