Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Tuesday 4th September 2018....my venture into the Big Apple!!!

Finally had a chance this morning to catch my breath enjoy my tea and muffin, do a load of laundry and plan my day in the Big Apple!!!


I took the same bus to the train station and got on the same train I had been taking for the tennis and just stayed on it till I got to Times Square, I am sure making good use of my 32 Dollar Metro card which is good for all modes of transportation!!


Out of the subway in to the 35 degree heat and the hustle and bustle of Time Square.....not being such a huge fan of cities this was going to be a test for me!!


The first shock was remembering all the towering buildings and the noise and the mass of people! 









I wanted to see a play and one recommended by a few of my friends was showing just around the corner and I went to the box office and would you believe bought the very last ticket for a matinee performance tomorrow at 2 pm.


Of course the seat is at the back but the lady in the box office assured me it was still a great seat with full stage view and a bargain at 65 dollars???What show you ask??  Will have to wait for tomorrow’s blog for that answer!!


Gracie thought it would be a lovely surprise for me to go to her daughter, Emily’s work place......


After all the sitting over the last four days I needed to walk and boy did I ever walk and do I mention it was 35 Degrees!!!


Here are some of the sights on the way




I liked this one....









I found where Emily worked ....in a very prestigious drama school and sat outside her office and waited a few minutes to see her..she was happily surprised to see me and we chatted for a few minutes but I knew she was busy so did not out do my welcome.....we are going to get together on Saturday with Ryan and two year old Jonah ..I wonder if he will remember me from April??


I then wanted to walk here







This is a very impressive walkway hard to believe what can be done by proactive thinkers!!












I was surprised at the green spaces in the city..





I then walked down to the river and headed in the direction of the Staten Island ferry terminal...




Really enjoyed this photo! 


Thought you would get away without a tennis shot..no chance...what a venue for tennis!!












passing this tower on the way..










One World Trade Center (also known as 1 World Trade Center, 1 WTC, or Freedom Tower[15]) is the main building of the rebuilt World Trade Center complex in Lower Manhattan, New York City. It is the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, and the sixth-tallest in the world. The supertall structure has the same name as the North Tower of the original World Trade Center, which was destroyed in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The new skyscraper stands on the northwest corner of the 16-acre (6.5 ha) World Trade Center site, on the site of the original 6 World Trade Center. The building is bounded by West Street to the west, Vesey Street to the north, Fulton Street to the south, and Washington Street to the east.


About eight years ago I came to NYC when I was still travelling in Ramona and I parked outside the city and took the train in for the day especially to see the Twin Tower memorial and the Freedom Tower was just starting to be built..now it towers over the landscape!!


I just had to sit quietly and reflect how close I was to the tragic events of that day and the ramifications thereafter!!


It was a hot long walk to the ferry terminal...





The ferry is one of the few free things in New York and takes just a few minutes to cross over and of course this dominates the sky line!  












I virtually got off the ferry









 and turned around and came back...








.it was a fun trip....and remembering my last ferry was across the straight to Vancouver Island and before that with Malc on the ferry across the Mersey in Liverpool!!


The issue of getting back home was a tad daunting but with good planning and reading signs I was able to take the train or the tube not sure what they call it back to Times Square and then my fav number 7 back to the bus stop in China town for the ride home...getting back at 9pm..tired but good!!


Wow will sleep well tonight! 


Yashi Kochi!!

5 comments:

Rita from Phoenix said...

Awesome photos and I had heard about Highlander park but have never visited it yet. I'd love to stay a month in NY to really see and explore...all the way into New Jersey.

mexicokid said...

And still there would be more things to see..it is a vibrant city. Thanks les

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

An amazing city, would love to go there someday. Beautiful pictures!

mexicokid said...

And I really only got a small taste back again today.cheers lp

Dee Tillotson said...

Les, Gracie I'm sure was so glad that you stopped to visit her daughter. Hope you get a chance to take a walk through Central Park, take a photo of the police officers on horseback in the park, and a walk in the park along the Reservoir (which by now they should have named after Jackie O.). Back in the days before I retired and had to make visits to my company headquarters on Park Avenue, I paid visits to the FAO Schwartz Toy Store (oldest toy store in the US--150 years) to bring something back to my then small child; just walking around the place was a feast for the eyes. This flagship store had to close for a couple of years (fell on hard times), but I believe has reopened this year in Rockefeller Plaza. Have a fun time!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...