Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Tuesday 11 th September 2018.......a day to remember!!

With me just leaving NYC and seeing the musical and touring the ground zero and going up in the new tower the events of 17 years ago are fresh in my mind and I hope the world never experiences anything like that again!!!

Had a lovely breakfast of cereal and fruit and yogurt...very nice place to stay.....


So I was off on a waterfall hike that my friend Dee had told me about in the Shenandoah mountains....


I found the trail head and it was not cold but very overcast but dry...this was going to be a 7 mile loop trail and for the first mile I was here...






Just a trail.....NO


It is the Appalachian trail!!!


How cool is that on my resume I have hiked the Camino...the Milford track in New Zealand and now the Appalachian.......OK only you and I know the latter was for maybe a mile!!!


About two miles in on nice trails





I turned the corner and stopped!!!!


Right on the trail was this cutie..






I managed one shot before I smartly Ran towards him wrestled him to the ground and made him let me pass...who am I kidding....I turned and walked back the way I had came I did not want to mess with him or his family..


In these shots I tried to zoom in on my iPad but they are very fuzzy....but really it was so cool to be totally in nature and see something like this ....does not happen often.








So I came back and returned on a different trail and down to two small but lovely waterfalls..












I reckon I hiked about seven miles in total..back at LB the clouds were moving in..





I left the park





And as soon as you do you drive straight onto here





This road in the parkway goes for over 400 hundred miles








 but unfortunately the weather turned nasty and I decided to leave the park and get on to the interstate and was good for a while but I could see the rain clouds coming and then a storm hit like I have never witnessed before ......


It rained so hard my wipers were on full speed...the three lane highway was packed and we were all driving like 30 Mph..it was madness that went on for about 30 minutes!!!


Hard to figure a few miles later sunshine...





These signs are everywhere and this area expects torrential rains in the next couple of days!!!





I found my Airbnb and my host had recommended a family diner and before I came I bought a country fried steak dinner with beans and mash to the house.


The Airbnb is with a single lady with two kids and a dog..she is lovely and very obliging but the place is like worlds apart from where I stayed last night..but for one night I am fine...enjoyed my dinner, took a nice hot shower and now have tea and in my bedroom.


Today’s drive...






I think with a long drive into Alabama tomorrow I should miss the very nasty weather...I have an Airbnb booked for tomorrow night...


Quite a day if I say so myself!!


Yashi Kochi!!!

4 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

Well, you got in a long hike (albeit with a little rain), saw a couple of waterfalls, and had a short visit with a wild bear. Now, I'll have to sing the "Ballard of Davy Crocket," but replace his name with yours. It starts out, "Leslie, Leslie Pearson, king of the wild frontier." You will have to Google the Ballard to hear the rest of the lyrics. What a day! LOL! (Use to sing it a lot when I was a kid, even had a coon skin cap.)

Dee Tillotson said...

P.S. Correction, "Ballad" not Ballard.

mexicokid said...

I know that song too..yes always an adventure with me....lp

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

A great day! We had a torrential rainstorm here yesterday as well, never seen anything like it! Good idea to try and avoid the stormy coast. Safe travels! Cheers, Peter.

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...