Friday, September 28, 2018

Friday 28th September 2018...YES!!!!!

Well here I am in my casita 2.30 pm Friday afternoon awaiting bathe cable guy who was supposed to have shown between 9am and 12 noon and this after already waiting a week....and people ask me if I would ever build a house in Mexico??


When the appointment was made I said to myself bet he does not show up and really going down to the company and raised a ruckus is not my way and certainly not in a different country although Gracie has gone down to their office for me to find out what is happening her Spanish is quite good and I await her telephone call.


Update...Gracie just called and she tells me they will be here between 5.30pm and 6pm!!!!


Better update he arrived at 4.30pm and I am BACK CONNECTED!!!


So being at the casita all morning gave me a chance to do some reading and going through all my stuff and sorting and doing some re arranging....


It also gave me a chance to some letter writing which I can do without internet and then copy and paste at a later date when I need it.


I have three projects that I need to work on...the first one of my tennis buddies is leaving SMA in two months he and his wife are relocating to the USA....he has been a big part of the tennis community and I thought we should have a nice farewell dinner for him and his wife.....so I have contacted a local restaurant and set a tentative date and menu and price and then have to e mail all his friends to see who can attend...not a big task but one that takes some organization.


The next event is to organize a tennis slam for my tennis friends....I usually do three of these a year and they are well liked a fun event.....so going to set up a date and get that going.


My last project is a big one!!!!


I am going to set in motion the Three Kings Day event again this year......for those who are not familiar with this I will explain...


In Mexico Christmas is not so important as the 6th January called Three Kings Day this is when the families exchange small gifts.


There are so many small communities in and around SMA where the families are very poor and those children do not receive a gift......


A local Canadian couple took it upon themselves to change that and for several years worked very hard in raising funds and collecting gifts and then distributing them before the 6th of January.


Last year due to other commitments they could not do this collection so I decided to take over and with many helpers and many more generous people we were able to go out into the campos and get a gift to over 400 children.


This year my goal is to reach 800 children!!!!!!!!!!


The work is long and involves many aspects of communication with schools and the community......


I would like to do this in a slightly different way this year.....in past experience I know that all the boys from kindergarten to middle school all they want is a soccer ball.....I have a contact who can put me  in touch directly with a factory where the balls are made and I can get balls at a really good price.


For the girls between 6 and 13 years last year we found a lady in the local market that would make up a lovely snatch purse with some nail polish, hair stuff, gloves and other small things the girls would like and again at a good price and she can supply as many as we need!


So lots of work ahead but something I enjoy and the rewards are fantastic!!!


YASHI KOCHI!!!! 

2 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

Did notice that Gracie was smiling when she was paying for your dinner. She must be a really good sport!

800 children's gifts for Three Kings Day--very, very ambitious project. But we all know as a team it can be done.

mexicokid said...

Yes well she better keep on smiling because I won again.......800 is a mammoth task but I know it can be done ....have a great weekend. Best wishes les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...