Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Wednesday 16th December 2020..flashback!!


Another great healing day for me in the sunshine....My friends Kim and Mathew stopped over I had asked them to go to the store for me and buy three bottles of wine to give to my doctors tomorrow and some chocolates for their receptionists......we had a nice visit.
I then watched a live soccer game from England.

Linda sent this to me it is her son in law at work when they had to dress the most ugly sweaters..I think he may have won!!

I like these two..


A flash back in time!!

Thursday 16th April 2009…..when will my luck end?

This was waiting for me at 8.30am this morning.IMG_6531

IMG_6532

Pretty to look at BUT cool…

I drove the 30 miles into down town Salt Lake City, scenes along the way.IMG_6534

IMG_6536

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_6535

The RV park is only 14 blocks from the main square so very convenient.

About 1pm I took the local bus down to the main square and went to the Mormon Temple square, 10 blocks of incredible beautiful buildings.IMG_6541

IMG_6542

 

 

 

 

 

 

The grounds are wonderfully kept. 

IMG_6544IMG_6545

IMG_6555

 

 

 

 

 

 

I went in to the Visitors Service centre and this is where I had the very sad news that the Tabernacle choir practise set for 8pm tonight (and the main reason I was here) was cancelled because the choir were performing a concert on Saturday evening.

Nothing I could do about that but I did take a guided tour of the buildings with these delightful young ladies.IMG_6575They were so radiant and so happy to be sharing their message with me, it was a lovely 40 minutes and I learned things about their faith, very interesting.

I then went across the street to this building.IMG_6561

This was 5 floors and was packed.IMG_6562

IMG_6568

I had done some research on my family history and here I found a lady who sat and helped me and showed me how to search.  I spent 2 hours here and foundIMG_6563

my great, great, great Grand Father, born in 1786.

IMG_6564

This is John’s son, my great, great Grand Father and his wife and children….. now I have to do some more research to see if I can go back another generation, fascinating stuff!!

I walked around the square again and this time went into the Tabernacle and had the good fortune to hear a gentleman on the organ, what a sound!!IMG_6578

IMG_6569

IMG_6571

It was now 5pm and I decided to treat myself for dinner so whilst eating my meal in the restaurant a gentleman came and sat in the booth next to me and he was talking on his cell phone and I couldn’t help but hear what he was saying.  He was telling someone that the choir is rehearsing at the Cathedral tonight in readiness for their concert their on Saturday.

You know me shy, quiet and reserved!!!!!!!  When he had finished his call, I excused myself and said I could not help overhearing your call and I told him I had come to town especially to hear the choir and how sad I was that I would not be able to hear them.  He smiled at me and gave me his business card, he was the General Manager of the choir and he invited me to the Cathedral to hear them do the rehearsal and told me it was not open to the public but if I had a problem to call him.  How so lucky am I ???

I thanked him and off I went to the CathedralIMG_6546

IMG_6549

IMG_6581

What a beautiful church.

I sat amazed and watch many men and women set up the church and at 8pm the orchestra came in and then 360 choir members.IMG_6586

IMG_6589

IMG_6590

This young man was a guest soloist and what a voice!!

This gentleman brought the rafters down, he was amazing!!IMG_6592

So the photos are not great but I did not want to use the flash.

This was a most remarkable evening to hear the choir, the organ it was one of those you had to be here nights.  

What a fitting end to my Journey of a lifetime and another one of my bucket list items crossed off!!!!!!!

I leave in the morning for three days of hard driving to get me home.  It is mainly on Interstate highways and the weather reports are quite good….will post when I can and I wish you a great evening and if you want a thrill click on YouTube and punch in Mormon Tabernacle Choir and listen to one of their songs!!!

1 comment:





I realize when I read over this article that my writing was not very good I did not convey how special this day was....I did not get across the point that thousands of people go to Salt Lake City to hear the choir and I was lucky enough to be in a beautiful cathedral and have all the members of the choir do a full performance just for me!!!

I remember  the evening I was wearing my red and white hoodie that had Canada on the front and at least 20 of the choir members came up to me afterwards to talk....it was a night I shall never forget!!

Stay safe and healthy!!

Yashi Kochi!!


No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...