Monday, November 18, 2019

Monday 18th November 2019....another friend gone!!!!

Bit of a mixed bag today.....

For the next six weeks or so my training session at the gym will be at 10.30am a time that suits me perfectly....again Aaron just knows how hard to push me and I know I say it often but he is not only the best trainer in that gym he is a remarkable and kind young man!!!


Went to the grocery store afterwards and then spent the afternoon working on all the final numbers for the schools for the Three Kings Toy Drive followed by some dead heading of my plants on the roof top patio!!


I saw this on FB posted by my friend Joey...I like it!!


Every year millions of tourists visit northern Siem Reap in Cambodia to explore the Angkor archaeological complex, the site of numerous temples built between the 9th and 15th centuries.

A UNESCO World Heritage site, the park spans 154.44 square miles (400 square kilometers) and many visitors choose to travel the park by elephant to explore the impressive monuments. The parks 14 elephants have been trained to carry passengers and also put on performances for tourists.




As is the case elsewhere in Asia where elephants are used to carry tourists, Siem Reap has been criticized for this practice and also because many of the animals are old or unhealthy. Handlers have been accused by animal rights activists of overworking the elephants and have encouraged officials to stop the use of elephants as entertainment for tourists.


As reward for the animal rights activist’s efforts and staying the course, a ban on the practice was announced earlier this year and an officially confirmed on November 15 and will come into effect early next year, The Straits Times reports.

Long Kosal, a spokesperson with the Apsara Authority which manages the park, admitted that ‘using elephants for business is not appropriate anymore’ and that some of their elephants were already old.

The elephants will be moved from the park to a community forest about 25 miles (40 kilometers) away and will be taken care of by the company that owns them.

‘’They will live out their natural lives there,’’ Kosal added.


I just like this...






Most of my readers know I spent from May 1970 to May 1980 serving in the Bermuda Police force...


6 Questions Every Bermudian Has Been Asked


November 17, 2019

No matter where a Bermudian may travel to, the questions one receives from strangers are often the same. While it can get frustrating at times to dodge seemingly endless questions about the Bermuda Triangle, there is relief in knowing that the interest shown in our island home by strangers abroad is in direct proportion to how unique and special Bermuda is.

 

Where is that?

The problem with this is, as soon as you say that it’s in the Atlantic Ocean and its closes point on land is in the U.S. they think we are part of the U.S., like Hawaii. We know it’s confusing that we’re a little rock in the middle of nowhere, but we’re British, okay?

 

Is that in the Caribbean?

No! We might share quite a few similarities with Caribbean culture, but it’s important to note that Bermuda is an island all on its own, with its own history. Our formation apart from any other land mass is what allowed so many endemic species to emerge here, including a reptile, our very own skink! Imagine the amount of evolutionary grit it took for that to happen.

 

How did you get out of the triangle?

Sometimes they ask what the other points of the triangle are too – as if we know. Sometimes they are absolutely certain that planes and boats are not legally allowed to travel within the area of the triangle. Later examination of supposed disappearances in the triangle has concluded that most were either spurious or wildly embellished.

 

Do you live in huts?

The irony is that Bermuda is one of the richest nations in the world, with more than 25% of fortune 500 companies having subsidiaries here in 2014. For many, the concept of an island nation is wedded with preconceived notions of it being a developing country. One gentleman in London once asked a Bermudian: “How do you pay for things? With fish?”

 

What do you do for fun?

This is your opportunity to shine (especially if you’re answering this question during the winter months abroad when the landscape is covered in snow): Boating, beaching, surfing, sailing, snorkeling, diving and any other activity that evokes the warmth of sunshine and the crystal clear waters of Bermuda will do.

 

Do you spend all day on the beach?

In this instance, you have to concede that yes, sometimes, you do – and when you’re not on the beach, its absolute torture to look out the car window at the blue skies and palm trees.


There is a Bermuda Police website that I connected with a few months ago where they update all the happenings on the island and with the force....


I went to the site last night and was saddened to read of the passing of one of my good friends and a great mentor to me in my early years, Stan Hill....


I got to know Stan and his lovely wife Hilary, who actually was born and raised about 45 miles from me in England, quite well and I was asked to be God Father to their daughter Victoria...





Sadly we lost touch over the years until I discovered my Face Book page and sort of out it works....anyway I found Hilary’s FB page and also Victoria and sent them both a message and I have heard back from them both which is so nice.


So when I went on their FB page I saw another face I recognized, Vivienne..it turns out that Hilary and Stan and Vivienne and her husband all emigrated to Australia quite a few years ago.


Vivienne and I dated for quite a while and I remember taking her to England to meet my family, this is all about 47 years ago!!!





Anyway I dropped a message to Vivienne on FB and also heard back from her....


It is a small world and nice to be able to communicate with friends from so long ago, just a shame it took a sad occasion for this to happen...


My blessings to Hilary and her family!!


Yashi Kochi!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...