Sunday, April 11, 2021

Sunday 11 th April 2021...Sunday sports!!

Sunday so it must be Pickle ball morning...


I am enjoying playing and getting the hang of it a bit more...still prefer tennis but this is fun and a great group of people and no cost to play..

My friend Linda asked me where the name came from.....now you will all know!


Pickleball was invented in 1965 on Bainbridge Island, a short ferry ride from Seattle, Washington. Three dads – Joel Pritchard, Bill Bell, and Barney McCallum -- whose kids were bored with their usual summertime activities -- are credited for creating game. Pickleball has evolved from original handmade equipment and simple rules into a popular sport throughout the US and Canada. The game is growing internationally as well, with many European and Asian countries adding courts. 

 

Why Call it "Pickleball?"

Pickleball has a very interesting name, especially since no pickles are used. Accounts of how the name originated differ.

1. According to Joel Pritchard’s wife (Joan), she started calling the game pickleball because “the combination of different sports reminded me of the pickle boat in crew where oarsmen were chosen from the leftovers of other boats.”

2. According to Barney McCallum, the game was officially named after the Pritchards’ dog Pickles, who would chase the ball and run off with it. According to McCallum, “The Pritchards had a dog named Pickles, and you’re having fun at a party, right? So anyways, what the hell, let’s just call it pickleball.”

Others claim both accounts may actually be true. In the early years, no official name was assigned to the game. However, a year or two after the game was invented, the Pritchards purchased a cocker spaniel and named it Pickles. As the game progressed, an official name was needed and “pickleball” was it.


Came home and took advantage of the beautiful sunny day to do laundry and hang my clothes outside in the sun.


Then I did something I have not done before ...I watched golf on TV....


This was the final round of the Masters which is like a grand slam of tennis and I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and congratulations to..






To complete a full sports day I am going to watch a soccer game from England that I recorded earlier!!


Did hear some rumours the last couple of days that the second vaccine shot which is due in the next ten days may delayed by another month...so will wait and see what happens ...


stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...