Friday, April 30, 2021

Friday 30th April 2021.. a special day for the last day of the month!!

The food hamper/ despensas  project is going amazingly well because of so many caring and generous individuals....I do believe we are making a difference to residents and children of two very poor campos.


 

This afternoon Lynne, Joanne, Reyes and myself went out to Colonia Morelos with the food hampers and many more items of clothing and books and toys for the children.


We have decided to get to the food to the families ourselves rather than load up the shelves in the bodega like we have been doing for three months.


So we drove around the village and met the families and children and passed out the food, this is a much better way to get the food to them.














Everyone was so appreciative and humble, you can see from the photos some of their dire living conditions!








Afterwards we went to the community bodega where we left hot dogs, buns, marsh mellows, juice and cookies for all the children of the village  as today is a special day!


The smiles on the kids faces as they started in inflate the balloons was priceless!!









In Mexico, Children's Day ("Día Del Niño") is celebrated on April 30th. On this day teachers organize the day for their children. In some schools, lessons are suspended for the day. They organize games, music, and the children bring in their favorite foods to share with others. Some families also have a day out with their children. There are special activities for children in parks and sports centers. Sometimes, also, the children will be given presents by their families.

As it is spring, children wear many bright colors to celebrate their youth and the coming of Spring.

Children's Day in Mexico started in 1925. This celebration had its origins during Álvaro Obregón's presidential period after the country joined the Geneva Conventions and looking after the wellness of the vulnerable children affected by World War I. The United Nations suggested in 1959 countries adopt a National Children's Day in honor of the Children's Rights Declaration of 1959.





For a donation of 200 pesos we can buy important food staples that will feed a family of four for a week!


If you would like to donate to this worthy caring cause be assured that all the money will go towards buying food.


I have a scooter and am more than happy to pick up your donation.



Three ways to give:

*a one time donation of 200 pesos

*a one time donation of 800 pesos to feed a family for a month

*an ongoing donation every week or month (I can collect it from you)


If you have any questions I can be contacted at mexicokid77@yahoo.com


Cell phone 415-178-3540 (I cannot retrieve messages)


If you do not live in San Miguel and want to donate, please contact me for arrangements.


It was a great satisfying afternoon to be able to be a part of this.


This afternoon I went over to Gracie’s and took Negrita, Scout and Einstein out for a nice walk in the neighbourhood.....I have not seen them for over six weeks and it was great being with them especially as I am not seeing Frida till I come back from my trip.



This was the view from my window this afternoon!!





At 6.00pm tonight I met for the second time my very special student, Vane, she is in University here in San Miguel and I have an agreement to be her English Tutor......we met in an out door cafe and talked for over an hour.


She really is amazing, she completed all the little assignments I gave her last week, her writing and reading is excellent .

I could see a marked difference in her confidence in only one week.



We are going to keep in touch by Zoom whilst I am away......I love to teach!!


Thanks and stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!!



No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...