Sunday, August 18, 2019

Sunday 18th August 2019....TENNIS!!!!

So today was going to be a tennis day..when I found out the dates I would be in Canada I realized I could fit the finals of The Vancouver Open into my schedule!!


My kind land lady set up many food items on a buffet style table this morning and afterwards I was packed with lots of cold drinks and food and set out to find my way to the stadium...


First there was about a 20 minute walk followed by a short bus ride where I changed buses and arrived here..





20 minutes before the gates opened.....the bus pass that I bought on the ferry works great I have 20 dollars of fares on it and it should see me through today and finally the Sky Train tomorrow evening!!


I was almost first into centre court and selected the best seat there was...the views of the mountains and downtown are quite stunning!!









The ladies singles final did not begin till noon...so I left my spare shirt on my seat and went for a walk around the beautiful country club...


Found these courts not in the greatest condition but the whole complex is very fancy!!




I was back for the start of the game and below is taken from the clubs website and describes the games very well!!!



A full house







BRITISH NO. 2 HEATHER WATSON CLAIMS HER NINTH CAREER ITF SINGLES TITLE

In the women’s final, the second time was the charm for Heather Watson of Great Britain as she erased a 5-1 first set deficit and stormed back to win the 2019 Odlum Brown VanOpen women’s championship 7-5, 6-4 over third seeded Sara Sorribes Tormo of Spain.

Watson was a finalist at the Odlum Brown VanOpen a year ago, falling in three tough sets to Misaki Doi of Japan. In returning to Hollyburn Country Club this year, the loss to Doi weighed on her mind. “Walking through the club every day, you see the winners all on the wall and I just missed out last year. It’s been a big motivation to get my picture on that wall,” she said.

For Watson, it’s the 27-year-old’s ninth career ITF singles crown. “It was such a battle out there today. It was just two sets, but it was by far one of the most physical matches I’ve played (this week) because of how Sara plays, she’s such a fighter, she’s very smart and tricky with her slicing, drop shots and coming to the net. Sara had a great start to the match and was just too good. I was 5-1 down and set points down, but I just carried on fighting and I’m really happy to come through that.”

Watson, who’s a former World No. 38, is the first player from Great Britain to win the Odlum Brown VanOpen women’s singles title since current World No. 15 Johanna Konta did in 2015.









Twenty minutes later the men’s final began....this was a nail biter down to the last game!!



Odlum Brown VanOpen top men’s seed Ricardas Berankis continued his landmark year on the ATP Challenger Tour as the Lithuanian claimed his fourth title on Sunday with 6-3, 5-7, 6-4 win over tenth seed Jason Jung of Chinese Taipei.

The 29-year-old Berankis adopted a workmanlike approach all week during his matches, but let some emotion show in the final after it looked like he would run away with the match. He won the first set in just 27 minutes.

“This match wasn’t as controlled as some of my previous matches. In the semis and the second round, I felt like from the first point I was in control. Today in the first set, it was control, but in the second one it was so-so which I lost 5-7,” said Berankis, who is the first player to win four Challengers in 2019. “I needed to leave everything that I had on the court to win the match. It was a really tough match, Jason played really well.”

Berankis is currently ranked World No. 76 and owned the second highest win percentage on this year’s ATP Challenger Tour heading into the week.





Because of the location of the club I knew getting a bus back was going to be a bit of a problem..so outside the club up went my trusty thumb and in about ten minutes a car stopped for me and the couple dropped me off at a bus stop about ten minutes away..where I was able to get a bus close to the Airbnb!!


Had a rest, a long shower a nice dinner I brought from Heather’s and after I post this..tea and my show....


Big day planned tomorrow..stay tuned!!!!


Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...