Saturday, December 29, 2007

The coolness of the last couple of days is no more and this morning a beautiful warm sunny day and time for a long hike. I packed up some lunch and drinks and took the local bus from outside the RV Park to the Mercado (market) in the old part of town.
The market is typical of most markets in the bigger centres, a hive of human activity; smells, colours and I think if you cannot buy a certain item here it doesn’t exist. Note the meats and the produce again any cut or part of an animal can be bought here. It is so interesting just to stand back and watch the local shoppers and the vendors, their exchange of words and money and of course the flavour of smells that cannot be described.
From here it was off to the Basilica de la Immaculada Concepcion, the city’s Cathedral, which is easily recognizable because of it’s twin gold coloured spires. A beautiful building and as I passed there was a wedding ceremony taking place.
The next stop was a long hike, about 3 miles up and down small narrow roads to El Faro (lighthouse). It is said to be the tallest lighthouse in the Western Hemisphere and second only to Gibraltar in the world, with a range of nearly 35 miles. It was worth the hike and it took me about 20 minutes to climb up the gravel path which turns into steps about half way up. The views from the top were pretty spectacular. In one of the photos you can see the Baja ferry, which takes cars from Mazatlan to the Baja peninsular that, might be on my next trip something to do.
I re-traced my steps back along the Malecon (water front) to a spot where a diver dives of a monument in to the ocean 45 feet below but unfortunately he must have been having a siesta. I found my way back to the market where I caught the bus back home.
It was a really interesting day and I also enjoyed the exercise. Came home and sat out and read for a while then it was shower time, then supper and already it is 8pm.
I wish you all a great last Sunday of the year, blessings.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...