Friday, December 28, 2018

Friday 28th December 2018.....the phot below tells all!

Holy Innocents

In Mexico and all over the Catholic world, December 28 commemorates the Santos Inocentes or Holy Innocents, considered the first Christian martyrs. Upon hearing of the birth of Jesus, King Herod ordered the death of every child in Bethlehem under the age of two in an effort to wipe out all competition to his throne. But an angel warned the Holy Family and they sought refuge in a foreign land to save the life of their baby, the Christ child.

In Mexico — as well as Spain and other Latin American countries — December 28 is the equivalent of April Fool's Day. Although it may seem irreverent, jokes of all kinds are played on the innocents. Fortunately, the jokes are well taken.

Among the traditions, this poem is recited after someone has been fooled:

Inocente palomita,
Que te dejaste engañar,
Sabiendo que en este día
Nada se debe prestar.

Innocent little dove,

You let yourself be fooled,

Knowing that on this day

Nothing should be lent.

People make the most outlandish statements. They tell others shocking news like they're going to be parents, or they're getting married to someone else's sweetheart. In this electronic world, Facebook postings are a way of fooling friends at home and farther afield. For example, my brother posted that he'd won a scholarship and would be spending the next three years away at school. It wasn't true, but all day long he received e-mails of congratulations and encouragement, much to his perverse delight.

The news media also play a part in this traditional day. Newspapers often have two front pages — one with real information and another with headlines that are hard to believe. These reports are always something unexpected such as surprise marriages between politicians and famous musicians, huge salary donations by politicians, silly archeological discoveries and other improbable news.

Television journalists also prepare astonishing and hard to believe headlines and, if you're caught off guard, you can be fooled.

Fortunately for teachers, the holiday falls during Christmas vacations.


Well it was not a joke at a trick that I got quite sick last night......I had made some pea soup and think I did not cook it long enough....I started throwing up in the evening and was in bed by 8pm. All my energy had deserted me...


I slept OK but this morning it was more of the same for the first time I can remember I did not leave the house sleeping most of the day....


I am starting to feel a little better and had some toast but I have cancelled my tennis for tomorrow..so hopefully will be “normal” manana!!!


Yashi Kochi!!

2 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

Les, did you add any meat products, eggs, or milk to the preparation of the pea soup? When Beach and I were in Cuba, he consumed a couple of unpasteurized eggs, and for a day or two, he came down with an intestinal problem; Lomotil Eq. tablets which I secured from our family doctor before we left home did the trick. But remember, you have been eating a lot of rich holiday food, too, food which generally is not on your daily diet. Hope you feel better.

mexicokid said...

No nothing like that I think I just under cooked it..anyway after a frightful vomiting session last night I feel much better..I have no energy somlots of rest and I have only two slices of toast in 24 hours..but glad to be on the mend thanks for caring les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...