Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Tuesday 6th November 2018.....only in Mexico!!!!

The medical system in Mexico!!!


I had an appointment this morning at 12 noon with my doctor he wanted to talk to me about my cardiologist results from a few weeks ago......in his office building is also the eye doctors office and I came here yesterday to try to get an appointment but she was fully booked for the week but the receptionist when I arrived told me that she had just received a cancellation and if I wanted after I saw my doctor I could see her too.....perfect!!!


Dr. Marco told me that he was a bit concerned about some of the readings and that he wanted me to get a second cardiologist opinion....of course I agreed and he got on the phone and he got me an appointment at 8pm this evening......remember when I was in Vancouver I could not get an appointment within three months!!!!!


So I left and went next door to the eye doctor......she examined my eye made me a new prescription for progressive glasses and then checked on my floater in my eye....

She asked me how long I had the floater and I told her since Friday and she told me I was very lucky because.....now I am not sure if I have this totally correct....but a tiny fragment of my retina came away and that is what is floating and had I waited any longer it would have been an emergency and I would have been sent to the Queretaro the major city an hour away....

She said she would need to do laser surgery to close the tear and she had the equipment in her office.....so I had the surgery right there!!!


Total cost of the examination, prescription and surgery 5000 pesos...please figure this out in your own currency!!!!!!!!


I had slight discomfort but nothing major..I went to Gracies and we talked and she cooked me dinner and then dropped me off at the cardiologist at 8pm..


He saw me right away ....was a young man about 30 years old fluent English and I liked him right away.....for 20 minutes he took notes on all my family history my life style...then he gave me a thorough examination and then he offered his opinion.....the atrial fibrillation that I have had for over 30 years will not change and he told me I am in really good health the biggest concern is that with this affliction the dangers are that a clot could take off and go to my brain and cause a stroke....


He said the baby aspirin I take every evening was good many years ago but now it does no good and he suggested that he prescribes an anti collagen for me to take twice a day which will help limit the chances of the clots and it will thin my blood with the only drawback being that if I cut myself I will bleed more than I would before.......


I told him that I will follow his advice and he even gave me a months supply of the pills....


I was there over one hour and I thought he was brilliant.......now wait for this....

Same day consultation.......examination...explanations...none of which the other cardiologist did and she charged me 2000 pesos....this doctors bill was 800 pesos...figure that out in your currency!!


So a bit of a day but I am glad I had the eye surgery..very happy about the news on my heart....so all is well in Mexico and in my bank account!!!!!!


Yashi Kochi!!!

1 comment:

Dee Tillotson said...

So glad you didn't put off your medical visits! I've said it over and over again, modern medicine is great and I'm glad I live in this age. Good deal on the medical bills, too. My hopes are that the incentives remain available for institutions of medical science to continue to improve on the current state of medical science. The outpatient laser surgery you had would have been considered major surgery in the 1950s and 1960s.

There is one thing my eye doctor recommended. In addition to my reading glasses (also progressive) prescription, he asked that I also get a good pair of prescription (progressive) sunglasses to wear in the sun for protection from UV rays. After your surgery, the shades will give your eyes a break.

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...