Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday 26th January..

I left SMA at 8am and the weather was perfect, sunny and bright and my first stop was the small town ofIMG_3279 Salvatierra in the State of Michoacán.

This was a lovely town dominated by the central square and beautiful church.IMG_3266

IMG_3271

The inside of this church was particularly pleasing and the domed roof incredible.IMG_3276 IMG_3277

 

 

 

 

 

 

The organ was impressive as well.IMG_3278

IMG_3281

This was a busy town and I have now learned my lesson about these small towns, you find somewhere safe to park on the outskirts of town and walk into town.IMG_3282

My next stop was another small town this one calledIMG_3312

Again another very beautiful town on the lake of the same name.  This town has a rather lovely 17th century Augustinian Monastery.IMG_3291  Another one of those special moments happened in this square above.  It was 12 noon and the bells sounded and then the whole square came alive as the bells played “Ava Maria”.

IMG_3295

Inside was immaculateIMG_3289

Some of the other sights of the town.IMG_3287

IMG_3303 IMG_3305

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Isn’t love grand?IMG_3286

Again parked outside of town.IMG_3308

Soon time to leave and head for the 4km long causeway over the lake.IMG_3309

IMG_3311 Another interesting incident happened as I stopped Ramona and got out to take this photo.  About 400 yards before I had gone through a toll booth and as I got back in the van this man approached me on a  bicycle and asked me if I was Ok or if I was lost.  Apparently they had seen me stop and get out and sent the man to check on me, only in Mexico.

I know headed for Michoacán”s state capitol Morelia, a huge city with a population of over 590,000.  I found a Costco and decided to park there and take a taxi into the centre of the city.  Morelia was proclaimed a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1991 and the down town is quite lovely as is the main Cathedral.IMG_3317 IMG_3335 IMG_3355

I intended to take this trolley tourIMG_3336 but as I was the only customer they didn’t run, so I took the famous and cheap Pearson walking tour!!!IMG_3314

IMG_3323 Reminds me a little bit of Spain.

IMG_3331

IMG_3340 IMG_3341

IMG_3342

IMG_3345

IMG_3344

IMG_3350

IMG_3343

I enjoyed this town and the sites were quite beautiful I was making good time and I did intend to spend the night in the parking lot of Costco but decided to push on to the town of Uruapan and there is a small RV park here in the grounds of a lovely hotel.

Found the Hotel Pie De La Sierra without any problems, pretty proud of myself three major towns today and no wrong turns (be quiet MALCOLM!!!!!).

I am the only RV hereIMG_3366 and the grounds are beautiful.IMG_3367 IMG_3371

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3374

So ends my first day on the road in two months.  Covered 200 miles and Ramona was great, feels good to be back exploring and spreading my wings, although a part of me is back at Santa Julia in SMA!!!!

Had a long hot shower, a delicious meal of beef stew, thanks Heather, my last frozen meal.

I think I can get internet to post this, blessings to all.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...