Monday, January 13, 2020

Monday 13 th January 2020.....a tale of woe!!!

A GPS SAGA.....


Five years ago when I went on my epic 18 month journey I bought a top of the line expensive GPS in New Zealand..it had all world maps and was a great unit.


Unfortunately I dropped it a few months ago and it broke beyond repair and I ordered another one from Amazon....knowing that you get what you pay for I foolishly bought a cheap unknown brand and to sum it up in a word it is useless!!


When I head back to Nanaimo this year the plan is to buy a car with a GPS installed so when I saw on the Civil list here locally a man seeking a used Garmin for 500 pesos I emailed him and said I would take it..he did advertise that the maps were not updated.


So yesterday I told the seller I would come out today and make the purchase another man on the same civil list wrote me and said he believed he could update the Garmin for me and would be happy to do so for no fee..so I accepted his offer..he told me he lives  11 miles out of town in a very small campo and he gave me directions....I told him that would be great I have a scooter and love taking the back and obscure roads.


This morning I went and paid for the unit..the man was really nice and told me if I was not happy with it I could return it for a full refund......I then went out into the Campo to find Charlie’s house which I did without any problems or so I thought....the road into his driveway was chipped rock and when I went to leave, unfortunately he could not do the updates on the Garmin, I found out my rear tire was completely flat.....Charlie had a compressor but the tire would not hold any air...I was stuck.


So we made a deal for me to leave the scooter with him and his wife drove me back to the main highway and I plan to hire a guy with a truck and go out and get the scooter and bring it into town and the repair shop.


I was dropped off at the highway and within ten minutes a local bus arrived and I jumped on and paid the 13 pesos cost....it is years since I have been on a bus and I had no idea which route he would take but luckily he drove by the bottom of my street so that worked out really well.

Photo of the bus..





So now I have to find someone I can hire with a truck to go out and bring the scooter into the repair shop and I will use my car in the mean time.


Had another great class tonight all my students showed up and we all had to tell two sentences one true and one false and then guess which was which...they enjoyed that are are so engaged..a fabulous class!,

so ends my day!!!


Yashi Kochi!

2 comments:

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

You might be able to update the GPS using your laptop computer providing you have the connectivity. Good luck with the scooter!

mexicokid said...

I will try on a friends computer...and thanks for the good wishes like always everything usually works out cheers les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...