Thursday, March 22, 2012

Wednesday 21st March 2012…..Happy Solstice!!!

Had a good sleep and was on the road by 8am and it was a two hour drive to my next destination through narrow roads with a lot of traffic!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_9244

I arrived at the boat launch and parked Ramona and took the boat

IMG_9246

lots of birds!!!

IMG_9252

IMG_9250

IMG_9248

IMG_9253

It was only about a 5 minute ride!!

IMG_9255

Taken from The Internet!!

 

You’ve never seen anything like it. Mexcaltitán Island, located northwest of Santiago Ixcuintla, is quite literally a magical place.

Your adventure begins with a boat ride to the island, which some historians consider the birthplace of our Mexican identity as it was from this island that the Mexicas departed on their journey to found Tenochitlán, which eventually became Mexico City, the capital of the country.

Decreed as a Historic Monuments Zone in 1986, Mexicaltitán is also known for its picturesque tile-roofed homes and small, tranquil streets.

During the rainy season the streets of town flood, making travel by boat the only option. For this reason, the island has earned the name “The Mexican Venice.”

The name Mexcaltitán has been interpreted to mean a variety of things: for some, it means “land of herons” while others translate the name as “in the house of the moon.”

Shrimp fishing is the main economic vocation of the island’s inhabitants, who are also known for their unique handicrafts made from mangroves, and barcinas, spheres created with manta cloth and palm leaves and used to preserve dry shrimp.

And in addition to the houses and wide streets, the island is also home to a beautiful church and the El Origen museum, where you can find a variety of archeological pieces from Meso- American cultures. And rest assured: this will be a magical trip, a truly inspiring adventure.

 

 

This is a small Island that many people believe is the original home of the Aztecs.

There are no cars and the small streets are below the footpaths because they are used by boats in the rainy season!!!

IMG_9256

The little village is so small but interesting …

IMG_9259

IMG_9261

IMG_9263

I passed one building and the smell was so lovely, there was a screen door and I knocked and was invited inside!!!

IMG_9265

IMG_9266

Of course I had to leave a few pesos here!!!!

IMG_9272

But did not buy any of these !!!!!!

IMG_9271

IMG_9278

IMG_9279

The place is so small it did not take long to walk around and see everything and it sure is a different town and I did let my imagination run away with me and thinking all those years ago this is where a civilization began!!

I think there are 42 Magical Pueblos in Mexico and I have seen at least 30 of them!!!!

I got the boat back to Ramona and had  to pass through this small town and of course it was market day and you have to be alert driving on these narrow streets!!

IMG_9284

After a few miles I was on the toll road

IMG_9286

At around 5.30pm I was pulling into here

IMG_9288

for the night.  I have stayed here before and they had Wi-Fi but not anymore…sorry!!!

I had to wash Ramona again especially underneath as she was smelling like a barn yard…all those cows from this morning!!!!

I went for a nice beach walk…

IMG_9291

Then took a cup of tea down to the beach front and watched the sunset!!!!

IMG_9301

IMG_9306

IMG_9314IMG_9313

A lovely end to a wonderful day!!!

Drove 320 miles

IMG_9238from Rincon to Santa Maria and now tonight about one hour north of Mazatlan!!!

Time for a shower and then a movie I have a long driving day tomorrow so an early start, well I mean around eightish..nothing silly like a 6am start!!!!!!

 

Missing these brats!!!!!!!

IMG_8392

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...