Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sunday 25th March 2012…Happy Birthday Sam!!!

You better go grab a coffee or a tea this is a long one!!!

 

The Pope arrived in Mexico yesterday and is only about one hour away from San Miguel!!

  • This handout picture released by the Vatican Press Office shows Pope Benedict XVI praying in front of an image of the Virgin of Guadalupe at the chapel of Miraflores College in the city of Leon, Guanajuato State, Mexico. (AFP Photo/)

    This handout picture released by the Vatican Press Office shows Pope Benedict XVI …

 

Pope Benedict XVI, who has received a warm welcome in Mexico, was expected to develop messages for religious freedom and peace in the face of raging drug violence during his weekend visit.

The 84-year-old pope, on his first visit to Spanish-speaking Latin America, celebrated a private mass Saturday before he was to meet with President Felipe Calderon and Mexican children in the central, colonial city of Guanajuato.

"He slept well and is working on his speech," said Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi, ahead of a vast Sunday mass beneath a towering statue of Christ the King in Silao, in the highly Catholic Guanajuato state.

Saturday's meetings will place at the state government house, or Casa del Conde Rul, and include the Vatican Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone and Mexican Foreign Minister Patricia Espinosa.

Crowds of cheering, flag-waving faithful welcomed the pontiff Friday as he made the 20-mile (34-kilometer) journey to the city of Leon in the Popemobile, with some paying the ultimate compliment with cries of: "Brother Benedict, now you're Mexican."

In only his second trip to the world's most Catholic continent, the pope is in Mexico before traveling to communist Cuba on Monday, in a visit inevitably overshadowed by his charismatic, globe-trotting predecessor John Paul II.

On his arrival in Mexico, Benedict said he would pray "particularly for those who suffer... all forms of violence," with expectations high for a strong message of peace amid a wave of drug violence that has left some 50,000 dead in five years.

He also called for efforts "to fight this evil which destroys our young," referring to drug gang culture, in comments on the journey to Mexico.

Mexican authorities promised maximum security during the visit, with some 5,400 security forces deployed, while the archbishop of Leon even called on local drug gangs to call a truce.

Benedict comes to a Mexican church facing challenges including legalized abortion and gay marriage in the Mexican capital and a drop in Catholic numbers in the world's second-largest Catholic nation -- still with 84 percent of the population baptized.

Although he did not address particular challenges to the church, Benedict called for respect for human dignity.

"This dignity is expressed especially in the fundamental right to freedom of religion, in its full meaning and integrity," he said in Mexico.

The visit comes amid debate over new legislation, which Calderon's government is backing, to end restrictions on religious ceremonies in public places and a ban on religious involvement in politics.

The pontiff is visiting a symbolic region where a Catholic rebellion in the 1920s saw the faithful take up arms against laws that stripped the church of power, and a stronghold of Calderon's conservative National Action Party (PAN).

Some have criticized the apparent political context of the visit, which comes a week before the start of campaigning for July 1 general elections.

The visit also coincides with the release of a new book of revelations about a clerical abuse scandal concerning Mexico's most notorious offender, Marcial Maciel, the founder of the Legion of Christ order who died in 2008.

Mexican victims of the sexual abuse were disappointed the pope had no plans to meet them.

 

I was on e mail with a friend today and the subject of my attitude came up which leads me to the below hymn!!

I do not often get into personal stuff here but I am proud to say that I was raised in the Salvation Army as were my three generations before me and I always remember my Granny Pearson saying this was her favorite hymn.

 

 

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Refrain

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

Refrain

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

Refrain

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

This is how I have tried to channel my life…if the words Christ or God offends you please substitute what ever words you want and I think this is a good mandate for a happy and rich life!!

  I started my blog in November 2006 and below was my very first post!!!

3

 

Do I want to leave soon.......YES!!!!!

You can see this was pre Ramona days and I travelled in my Windstar van!!!

Today is another milestone check out the number of visitors to my blog!!

IMG_9429

I was going to offer a reward of 1000 pesos to the person to be visitor 100000 BUT it seems it was ME!!!!!!

IMG_9430

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful support I have enjoyed everyday doing this blog!!!

Well I skyped my Brother this morning just to say hello and when the phone rang my adorable Sister in Law Janet answered and before I had a chance to even say hello she started singing in her beautiful tenor voice the happy birthday song!!!!

She sang it all the way through and was singing to her daughter Sam, whose birthday it is today…so when she had finished I told Janet that was so lovely and kind and a bit early for me…..we had a great laugh!!!

Happy Birthday Sam!!!!! see you soon love Uncle Les!!!

Boy I am getting used to these lazy mornings!!!!

Went for my long beach walk again and where you see this

IMG_9416

imagine about 7 or 8 of these prancing around!!

12

I was not able to capture them on my camera but the dolphins were close to shore and playing…a neat sight!!!

I then went into Guaymas again and saw the old jail

IMG_9423

A neat church!!

IMG_9420

A Mexican version of Bonita!!!

IMG_9424

I went and spent an hour walking around Wal-Mart before coming home for a lovely supper and I am all cleaned up and the water is boiling for the tea……Blessings Les

2 comments:

living.boondockingmexico said...

You have a special attitude, I like that. Thanks for writing your blog.

mexicokid said...

Thanks Chris i appreciate that.cheers Les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...