Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thursday 26th January 2012..well another first for me!!!!

Staying up all night to watch this incredible tennis match!!!  What a great tribute to the sport but did it have to start at 2.30am  San Miguel time!!!

nadal_33569

MELBOURNE, Australia - Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer 6-7 (5), 6-2, 7-6 (5), 6-4 in an Australian Open semifinal on Thursday night, the longtime rivals playing with the intensity they normally display when they meet in Grand Slam finals.

Though the stars who have met in eight Grand Slam finals were on the same side of the draw for the first time at a major since 2005, they played as if the title were at stake.

This time, though, only Nadal will have the opportunity to win another championship — on Sunday night when the Spanish left-hander plays the winner of Friday's semifinal between defending champion Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray.

In doubles play, Toronto's Daniel Nestor and Belarusian partner Max Mirnyi lost their semifinal 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 to India's Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic.

But a pair of Canadians advanced to the semifinals in junior play. Vancouver's Filip Peliwo defeated Joshua Ward-Hibbert of Britain, 6-3, 6-2 while second-seeded Eugenie Bouchard of Montreal downed Risa Ozaki of Japan 6-4, 6-3.

Nadal, who holds a 6-2 edge in Grand Slam finals against Federer, made the key service break in the ninth game of the fourth set, making an incredible cross-court forehand winner from well behind the baseline, then watching as Federer hit a backhand wide to give Nadal a 5-4 lead.

Serving for the match, Nadal moved two points away from the win when Federer sent a backhand long. He won on his second match point when Federer floated a forehand long.

At the end, Nadal smashed a ball up high in the stadium, almost clearing the roof. He then applauded along with the crowd when Federer walked off.

Two weeks ago, Nadal injured his right knee and wasn't sure he'd be able to start the tournament. Now, he can barely believe he's in the final.

"If you tell me that two Sundays ago, I really cannot imagine," Nadal said. "For me, it's a dream to be back in a final of the Australian Open."

The 25-year-old Spaniard won the 2009 Australian title but lost in the quarter-finals in his next two trips to Melbourne Park. Federer hasn't added to his record 16 Grand Slam titles since he won the 2010 Australian Open.

"I thought Rafa played well from start to finish," Federer said. "It was a tough match physically as well. I'm disappointed, but it's only the beginning of the season. I'm feeling all right, so it's OK."

When the often enthralling play was suspended for 10 minutes late in the second set for an Australian Day fireworks display, Federer seemed to be affected most. Nadal led 5-2 at the time, and Federer lost his serve in the next game to give the Spaniard the set. In all, the Swiss dropped 11 points in a row.

"It's tough, it's not helpful, that's for sure," Federer said of the break for the fireworks. "They told us before, so it was no surprise. But I knew it was a lot of points in a row that I lost."

The capacity, 15,000-strong crowd was evenly split in its support, with the names seeming to blur after the R in rival chants.

Each time somebody called out for Rafa, it was met by a response for Roger. The cheers were just as loud for Nadal's scrambling, sometimes astonishing, passing shots as for Federer's deft winners.

With the players on serve in the second set, Nadal went so far wide on a Federer return that he was near the side wall of the arena. Incredibly, he stretched wide and returned the ball crosscourt for a winner. That set up three break points and Nadal clinched the game to take a 4-2 lead in the second set.

Federer saved a set point in the 11th game of the third set that eventually forced a tiebreaker. But Federer made three unforced errors in the tiebreaker to give Nadal a 6-1 lead, and the Spaniard eventually clinched the set on his last opportunity of five set points.

"Please win the point, that's all," Nadal recalled when asked what he was telling himself. "I was very, very nervous at that moment. Losing four set points in a row is tough, especially when you play the toughest in history."

The above was taken from the TSN website.

So after getting a couple of hours sleep I myself was on the courts at 9am and I was not Nadal like…a little weary but still enjoyed the game…always do!!

I had a small problem with Bonita one of the rear indicator lights was broken away from the hinge and just hanging by the wire so I stopped at a motor cycle repair shop a few blocks away where this lovely young lady came to the rescue!!

IMG_8305

Two minutes later she had glued and powdered the piece back together solid…..asked how much and she told me no charge... only in Mexico…I am sure she will enjoy the 50 pesos tip!!!

My friend Sara is arriving on Sunday for 2 months to do some Spanish language courses she asked me to find her an apartment and I did last week and today I took possession of the key it is a really nice one bedroom apartment, fully furnished and within a 5 minute walk of the school she will be attending and about a 7 minute walk to the Centro area.

It will be nice to see Sara again we keep in touch often and she is very happy and has a new man in her life….I am sure we will be doing things together and I bet she is anxious to see the girls!

I then went up to Casa Hogar to see the girls and I got Lupita, Daniela and Paola busy making signs to welcome Sara!!

IMG_8306

IMG_8307

 

IMG_8308

IMG_8310

IMG_8313

IMG_8311

I just love  going to CH all the girls are so fun and they follow me around I feel like the pied piper…..and I am happy to report that yet again Paola seems really happy!!!

Tonight was another treat my friends Karen and Rob who I have known for a few years and we own similar Rv’s and I stayed with them for a few days in Nova Scotia this past summer invited me to Hecho's for supper….I did not need any prompting!!

IMG_8314

The company was great and the music yet again awesome!!

IMG_8048

Thanks Karen and Rob for my meal and it was great to catch up with your travels!!!

Cannot keep my eyes open this kid is out of here!!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...