Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday 23rd January 2010…scooter trip in search of the big tree!!

Well I knew it would happen!!!

My friend Chris wanted me to print his reply to my comments in yesterdays post: below is the e mail he sent me!!

Dear Sir:

I have just finished reading your Friday posting on the blog and have come to the realisation that I have to make sure that you buy a printer.  The facts regarding editorial content that you imparted to your worldwide readership in the blog about myself are not true. I did not make either request that you say I did.  Had you been able to print my message, you would then see that I requested the following;

Four sentences per daily blog.

One photograph per daily blog.

Thus you would have been able to advise your readers of the TRUTH.

The ONE photograph that you used is perfectly acceptable.

As I have professional ethics and standards to maintain, I would appreciate an official correction in your blog as soon as possible.

The Editor

PS: due to this obvious slight against my editorial requests, the price of my professional abilities has increased 100%.  The going rate is now two (2) doughnuts per entry.

 

This morning after a hearty breakfast I packed up and set off on a scooter adventure in search of the big tree that I had heard about.

The directions were a bit iffy but off I went and after about 11 km I came to the dam that services the huge lake which is at the bottom of the street where I am staying.  It is not Hoover Dam but still interesting.

jan23 001

jan23 004

The road was gravel but in good condition and this huge tunnel was the first surprise!!

jan23 008

jan23 010The dimensions…

jan23 011 

Some of the sights along the road.

jan23 006

jan23 019

jan23 012

jan23 022 Even in the middle of no where, a soccer field!!

jan23 026 Not too clear but a long distance photo of a lady washing clothes in the river.

Lunch time!!!!

jan23 027

I was close to the tree and with one set of directions out of SMA about 12 km and in this little village I came across this…

  This magnificent bald cypress (sabino) is more than 500 years old. The sabino tree is Mexico's national tree. The massive system of knotty roots of this huge tree seem to weave in and out of solid rock. As  the tree has been fed by a spring, it continues to thrive despite being the only one of its kind for miles around.

jan23 028 

jan23 031

jan23 032

There were some children close by and I wanted one to stand by the trunk so I could get a photo showing its size but they wouldn’t budge.  After a few minutes this one little guy obliged, this is one huge tree!!

jan23 038

It really was an incredible sight to see this magnificent tree in such a remote place and I am glad I was able to locate the monster.

Some views on the way home.

jan23 048

jan23 056

jan23 052

One reason you don’t drive these roads at night..

jan23 060

and another one…

jan23 063

I must really praise Bonita, my scooter,  I have driven over 1000 km here mainly on bumpy cobbled stone roads and never a problem and I reckon I have spent about 30 dollars in gas!!

jan23 066

It was a great outing that I enjoyed,  on the way home I stopped at the Mega for a few groceries.  I have found in the bakery department a really good baked cake nothing fancy but very tasty.  Most of the times there are huge line ups at the bakery department…I should back up a bit here…in the bakery department you take a tray and a pair of tongs get your goods then go to a counter where they bag them for you and write on the bag the price,  then you go the check out tills.  Usually when I go in they don`t have the cake I like or the line up is so long because the locals buy a special bread roll for a couple of pesos and they buy dozens so the line up is nuts.  Tonight they had my cake and I just had to have it so I got my tongs and tray and picked up a couple of slices, OK OK maybe I bought 5 slices then got in a line up of about 25 people but I was prepared to wait.  The lady I was stood behind looked at me and what I had on my tray and in Spanish she said something to me and I just knew she was saying,  you don`t have to wait here go to the front we are waiting for the bread rolls.  How do I know that I just know, so I did what she said and they took care of me right a way.  Why am I telling you this….just to prove again the kindness of these gentle lovely Mexicans!!!

So another great day….

Hey Sara I am waiting for my story!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Wandering Willy said...

Les,you were smart to purchase Bonita for this winters trip.A great way to get around.
Some of the trees of old Mex. are really something.I guess this fact really opened my eyes down in Chiapas.
Re the bakery lineups,I notice now that in the Bodega stores,you can at least bag your own bollio's and take them to the cash out with the rest of the grocerys.
Be safe on Bonita..wear a helmet...Helmut.

mexicokid said...

They actually made it mandatory to wear helmets here Jan 1st, but I am the only one who conforms!!! Good luck with the axle WillY!!!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...