Monday, January 18, 2010

Monday 18th January 2010…an early start!!!

 

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia

 

 

 

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

 

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a United States holiday marking the birth date of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., observed on the third Monday of January each year, around the time of King's birthday, January 15. It is one of four United States federal holidays to commemorate an individual person.[1]

King was the chief spokesman for nonviolent activism in the civil rights movement, which successfully protested racial discrimination in federal and state law. He was assassinated in 1968.

The campaign for a federal holiday in King's honour began soon after his assassination. Ronald Reagan signed the holiday into law in 1983, and it was first observed in 1986. At first, some states resisted observing the holiday as such, giving it alternative names or combining it with other holidays. It was officially observed in all 50 states for the first time in 2000.

Well my morning began at 7am I have not seen this time for a long time but duty calls.  It was a little cool on the scooter and I arrived at Casa Hogar at 7.30am to begin my driving duties.  A nice lady named Bobbi was there to go with me and show me the routine.

The first girls I saw were Paola and Daniela..

jan18 002

They go to school in this vanjan18 004 driven by someone else.

My first run is to take 7 girls to the bus stop where the Waldolf school bus comes and picks them up.

jan18 006

Then it is back to Casa Hogar to get these little rascals!!

jan18 009

That is Lupita in the middle and here the Madre is given them some hand cream.

jan18 011

They go to two different schools and they are so cheerful,  most of the way they were singing the song  ’If you’re happy and you know it” in English.

jan18 019 One of the schools and the truck I take them in.

At the drop off for the school they all come out and I get the customary hug and kiss and away they go.  I think it is great that they wear a school uniform.

I then drive back to Casa Hogar and done for the morning.  I then go back at 1.30pm and get the truck and go to a different part of town to pick up 4 of the Waldolf girls and bring them back to the home.  I then go back to the same spot and pick up the other three girls and at this point I don’t know why they don’t all leave at the same time,  maybe the age difference.

After this second trip I then go back to the day care and pick up the younger kids,  when I got back to casa Hogar they were playing with me and pretending to be asleep!!!

jan18 021

The girls then eat

jan18 014

jan18 017

jan18 016 She is a real cutie.

So ended my first day and I really enjoyed my time,  those girls are forever smiling and they just pick you up and take you with them, a great feeling.  I am going to do the morning run 3 times a week and the afternoon run every day.  Something I shall look forward to.

You see I can write a blog without mentioning the lovely sunny and warm weather!!

Hey Sara do you miss me??

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...