Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Tuesday 16th February 2021..Pancake day!!


Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is the traditional feast day before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday. Lent – the 40 days leading up to Easter – was traditionally a time of fasting and on Shrove Tuesday, Anglo-Saxon Christians went to confession and were “shriven” (absolved from their sins). A bell would be rung to call people to confession. This came to be called the “Pancake Bell” and is still rung today.

Shrove Tuesday always falls 47 days before Easter Sunday, so the date varies from year to year and falls between February 3 and March 9. In 2021 Shrove Tuesday will fall on February 16th.


Shrove Tuesday was the last opportunity to use up eggs and fats before embarking on the Lenten fast and pancakes are the perfect way of using up these ingredients.

A pancake is a thin, flat cake, made of batter and fried in a frying pan. A traditional English pancake is very thin and is served immediately. Golden syrup or lemon juice and caster sugar are the usual toppings for pancakes.

pancakes-sugar-lemon.jpg

The pancake has a very long history and featured in cookery books as far back as 1439. The tradition of tossing or flipping them is almost as old: “And every man and maide doe take their turne, And tosse their Pancakes up for feare they burne.” (Pasquil’s Palin, 1619).

The ingredients for pancakes can be seen to symbolise four points of significance at this time of year:

Eggs ~ Creation

Flour ~ The staff of life

Salt ~ Wholesomeness

Milk ~ Purity


I actually had pancakes for supper this evening...


This morning back onto the tennis courts for some great tennis under the usual sunny skies....


I then went and picked up three more donations for the food hamper project..it is far exceeding our dreams and people are so kind and generous.


I need to get my eyes checked and as luck would have it the Red Cross which is just down the street from me we’re having a clinic and testing day and I made an appointment last night and went this afternoon....


Had  all the tests and I picked out my frames and will have some progressive glasses delivered on 2 Nd March.


We all received this notice today..




It is now 7.15pm and I still have power and will watch tennis whilst I can..


I like this..


 

Hi, Max. This is Richard, next door. I've been riddled with guilt for a

few months and have been trying to get up the courage to tell you

face-to-face When you're not around, I've been sharing your wife, day and night, probably much more than you. I haven't been getting it at home recently. I know that's no excuse. The temptation was just too great. I can't live with the guilt & hope you'll accept my sincere apology and forgive me. Please suggest a fee for usage and I'll pay you.

Richard.

Max, feeling enraged and betrayed, grabbed his gun, went next door, and shot Richard dead. He returned home, shot his wife, poured himself a stiff drink and sat down on the sofa, and read this followup text from his neighbour:

Hi, Max. Richard here again. Sorry about the typo on my last text. I

assume you figured it out and noticed that the darned Spell-Check had changed "wi-fi" to "wife. Technology, huh? It'll be the death of us all.


Stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...