Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Wednesday 26th August 2020...Day 195!!!!

Breaking news.....after leaving San Miguel on February 9th this year I have made the decision to return!!!


Like everyone else this has been a most unusual and for some very sad few months I am so blessed to be in good health and to have amazing family of Heather and Kirby to support and love me and for their kindness I shall forever be grateful.


I am pretty sure the borders are going remain closed long after the next deadline of 21 st September arrives so I have bit the bullet and booked a flight back home!!!


The decision was not made lightly but it is made and now I must prepare for my journey.


I have booked a flight direct from Vancouver to Mexico City on 30 th September ...the flight times are really good and I arrive in Mexico City at 7 am in the morning of 1st October......


My choices to get from the airport back to SMA are limited and the safest way is to hire a private driver to come and pick me up.....Jaime my good tour guide friend will do this but his charge is 150 US DOLLARS, Which is the going rate.





One evening last week I had a brain  wave and found for an extra seven, yes seven dollars I could continue my journey from Mexico City to Leon a town about 90 minutes away from San Miguel.....my wait in the airport I. Mexico City is under two hours and the flight to Leon takes one hour..so Jaime can come to Leon and pick me up and have me home about the same it would have been for Mexico City but the cost for his service from Leon is 35 US dollars......so it is a perfect fit.


I do not regret buying my new car Blaze....


I have enjoyed driving her so much and still have five weeks to drive her....I put a message out to my friends in town and I am very happy and lucky to say I have found a garage of a private residence to park Blaze over the winter.....this is with Joyce who is the lovely wife of one of the poker players, Gary, who sadly passed away a few months ago...Joyce refused to let me pay a monthly rent to store the car...so very kind......I will cancel the insurance and just get storage insurance.





No one knows what is going to happen in this Covid world but a tentative plan is to come back next March for the car!!


I intend to enjoy the remaining weeks and continue playing tennis and hiking with Boomer.


In SMA things are going quite well with few reported cases...in conversations with friends they have guidelines for restaurants and social distancing and masks are required....also I do know the tennis courts are open again.....

The main square..




One of the views from my casita..


My English students who I hope to connect again with..







Not having the car is not really a big issue as I have the scooter which I use all the time.


So now that I know I am going back I am getting a tad excited.......


Stay safe and healthy!!

Yashi Kochi!!!

6 comments:

Kris said...

Is Boomer going with you?
I know it is safer in Canada, but winter is coming, and Mexico is your home. Enjoy the rest of your stay and safe journey.

mexicokid said...

Thanks Kris..I would love to take Boomer but I know before I reached the end of the street there would be APB out on me!!, cheers les

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Good news Les! There's no place like home…

mexicokid said...

Thanks...after an incredible summer will be nice to be back in 🇲🇽 again..cheers

Kris said...

Oh, I thought Boomer was your dog! Sadly, Mexico is not a good place for dogs, especially on the coast, where ticks are a terrible problem.

mexicokid said...

No just my best buddy..San Miguel is different a good place to be a dog..country high air and lots of lovely owners..cheers les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...