Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Wednesday 16th October 2019....Ashley🎾🎾🎾🎾

Just a regular Wednesday ....


Went into Centro this morning to collect another donation, went to the bank.

This afternoon was the usual poker and my winning ways continue with another win only 10 pesos but hey a win is a win!!


Then to my gym session which was hard and good and I did not teach tonight as the regular Thursday night teacher wanted to swap so I teach tomorrow night.


About twenty years ago in the border beach town of Puerto Penasco, Mexico, I met two lovely ladies Stella and her daughter Caron....we all became instant friends and our friendship continues to this day.


Ashley is one of Stella’s Grandchildren and I was introduced to her when she was 12 years old in Palm Springs.....


When Pauline, Ashley’s Mum found out I was a tennis player she asked me if I wanted to hit balls with Ashley........


I jumped at this opportunity and I shall never forget..first she and I ran about a mile to the tennis courts....then she produced a skipping rope and told me she had to jump rope for a little while....she did 1000 skips and then we went on to the courts..


Now let me tell you I have played since I was a wee kid and have also been the Bermuda police champion a few years in a row..so I know how to hit a ball!!!


So we were trading shots on the baseline and I was giving as good as I was getting and I think holding my own...


After a little while when we were picking balls up at the net I said to this adorable 12 year old blonde tall kid.....it must be an advantage being left handed with the spin and everything.....


She looked at me so innocent and with those big blue eyes and said...I am not left handed!!!!


I looked back at her and said but you are playing left handed!!!  She said I know but I am really right handed....


Immediately I told her to go on the court and hit balls to me right handed and we began to hit.....needless to say I got very few back!!


I have seen her play a few more times over the years and kept close track of her endeavours.......I also am proudest of her because she is also a honours student and an amazing young woman....

This article below was taken from the University web site...enjoy!!!


Q: You won the ITA All-American Championship on Sunday. What was that experience like for you? 

 

A: It was really cool. I think it's just fun to compete, especially without playing for so long since I was on-and-off injured and not really able to put together really good training blocks. I took some time off this summer to let my body heal, and when I came back, I was healthy and also just really happy to be back on court and excited to play. I've been training with passion and kind of been re-falling in love with the game, so the winning is kind of just the icing on the cake of a really great experience of competing at a high level and enjoying being there and having the honor of playing these tournaments.

 

Q: You're having a great start to the season since you also won the Oracle/ITA Masters championship and the Women's Collegiate Invitational championship. How does it feel to have won three tournaments in a row?

 

A: It's kind of crazy because the last two years I've played tons of tournaments all summer, and I've come back kind of burnt out and injured. I haven't even been able to compete in these tournaments because I haven't been healthy, so to be able to compete is great by itself. To be able to compete at a high level and have some success is even better.

 

Q: All three championships featured some of the nation's best players. What was your experience like playing against them?

 

A: I know I can beat these players. It's just a matter of staying completely focused. I think it's a good motivation too, when you're playing tough matches. You know you can't lose focus or let them in the match because they are so good that they'll come back. Having to keep going throughout the match, even when I was up by a significant amount, I had to keep staying engaged and play the right way. It's really good for my game because I know they next level I want to play at is going to be these level of players and even higher. It's good to be able to compete against such awesome competitors.  

 

Q: What is your mindset during a championship?

 

A: Usually, a lot of stress, anxiety, freaking out, hoping that I don't lose, those kinds of things. Lately, it's just been enjoying every second of competing, just loving being out there, and not so much because I'm winning, but because of the new perspective I've gotten from being able to take time off and do other things and redefine myself outside of tennis. Now that I've come back, I'm playing because I'm passionate about it, enthusiastic about it, and because I love it, not because I feel like I need to be doing well or proving myself in any way. I don't get nervous before the matches anymore, I'm having fun with it.

 

Q: You've had three successful years at Pepperdine so far. How do you want to go out your senior year?

 

A: I want to compete in a way that Pepperdine would be proud of. I think we stand for some pretty incredible ideals here at Pepperdine: purpose, service, and leadership. I want to compete with class, with dignity, with grace, with humility, and show what this university is all about. I don't care whether I win or lose any match. I want to be the same way every time, and show people what it's like to love what they're doing and to do it in a way that is glorifying God.

 

Q: You've been a Pepperdine Scholar-Athlete over the past three years. How do you balance being successful on the court and in the classroom?

 

A: I think it comes from loving what I'm doing. I love my major; I'm sports med, pre-med. Science, to me, is absolutely incredible. It gives me such an amazing look at the microscopic level of how everything is working. It proves how small everything we're doing is compared to God's greatness and how he created us and everything we can do is nothing in comparison. It's just about loving everything that I'm doing. I love science. I love tennis. It's just enjoying the opportunities I get. It's like, "Wow, I get to spend every day doing something productive that I also love," and being grateful for that opportunity.

 

Q: What has been your favorite memory during your time at Pepperdine so far?

 

A: I've had a lot of great memories here. My baptism was definitely up there; it's probably my favorite moment, and also going to Kenya. I wasn't a Christian before I came to Pepperdine. I think just learning about myself, outside of being a tennis player and a student, as a Child of God and a server of my community has given me an identity outside of everything I do. Now everything I do no longer defines who I am; I'm doing it because I love it.

 

Q: What has been the best advice you've received?

 

A: I've received so much good advice. I think to be grateful for everything. I think that's a very simple thing to say to someone, but it's also powerful. It's very easy, and you see a lot of students who take what they have for granted, but it's about taking a step back outside of yourself and trying to be happy with what we have. With that gratefulness is the responsibility of putting everything we have into what we're doing because we've been given so much.


Yashi Kochi!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...