Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tuesday 26th August 2014……. sunny and lovely!!!

Had a much better sleep and the sun was shining early and I was on the tennis courts by 9am…again another two hours of great tennis here is a shot of one of the players, Barry, who is one of my hero’s..he is 78 years young a great player, a fellow pilgrim from about 5 years ago and in the hiking group!!!

DSC07603

Home in time to watch live tennis from the Big Apple and saw this young lady win what I am sure is the high light of her young career!!!

_77184755_bellisap

 

American 15-year-old CiCi Bellis caused a sensational upset as she beat 12th seed Dominika Cibulkova at the US Open.

Bellis, ranked 1,208 in the world, saw off the Australian Open finalist 6-1 4-6 6-4 on a raucous Court Six.

The junior world number two only received a wildcard by winning the US girls' national championships.

She becomes the youngest winner of a US Open match since Russia's Anna Kournikova, who was 59 days younger when she reached the fourth round in 1996.

At 15 years 152 days old, Bellis is the youngest player to feature in a Grand Slam main draw for over nine years. She is the youngest player in the draw by two years

had never played at WTA level before, let alone in a Grand Slam, and she has only 12 singles matches on the lower ITF circuit to her name.

Who is Cici Bellis?

Real name: Cici is a nickname. Her full name is Catherine Cartan Bellis

Born: 8 April 1999

From: San Francisco

Senior WTA debut: February 2014 in the Abierto Mexicano Telcel

Her favourite player growing up was Kim Clijsters

She chose tennis over "soccer" at the age of 10

Her first US Open memory was Maria Sharapova in 2005 or 2006.

She is schooled online at home in California

"I'm feeling amazing," she said. "I'm still speechless. I'm still in shock about that match.

"I went into the match thinking it was going to be such a great experience, but I never thought I would come out on top winning."

The teenager from California came back from a break down in the final set, fist pumping all the way and urged on by a home crowd that packed into and all around the outside court.

"I had like four friends that started some of the chants," said Bellis. "I was like, 'Oh, my God!' I loved it. It made me play even better."

Bellis will face Zarbia Dyas of Kazakhstan, the world number 48, in the second round, but she cannot collect the US$60,420 (£36,518). prize money on offer as she is an amateur.

"I don't really think about it," she said. "I try to just focus on the tennis rather than anything else.

"I think I'm definitely going to stay an amateur right now to keep my options open for college, in case an injury or something happens. But I'd love to be a pro one day."

One day could this be Ashley!!!

At 2 o clock I went to Rita’s casa and we again had a lovely visit we sit and chat and eat her delicious banana bread then we play a card game called phase 10 and we have fun at this…who won..well I could tell you but then you would say here he goes again that Pearson kid is a braggart!!!!

Did some errands in town after I left and home in time to do some paperwork and e mails and then a nice meal and now enjoying late night tennis from New York!!!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...