Monday, September 14, 2020

Monday 14th September 2020...Day 209!!!

For the third day in a row very poor air quality and hard to even see the ocean from the house!!


I again decided not to play tennis and instead went off with Boomer one a mini road trip to here...





The salmon runs are just starting on the Island and this place is famous but I am a couple of weeks early...























But it is a beautiful place to hike around and we did see some fish....





And they have a camera inside the fish ladder..







We then stopped just outside Port Alberni here...





The Hole in the Wall in Port Alberni is a unique man-made phenomenon on Vancouver Island. Years ago a large hole was drilled through the solid rock to make way for an old pipeline. The pipeline has since been removed and what is left behind is a beautiful oasis in the forest where the creek flows through the hole and down into the crystal clear pool below.

You will find this hidden gem just outside of Port Alberni, near the infamous trees at Cathedral Grove. Thousands of people drive past this place each day without realizing it, as they make their way out to Tofino on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. This is the perfect stop to break up the long journey out here, or just to explore if you are in the surrounding area.


Just a short hike and this is what it looks like after heavy Spring rains...





And today...











It was a nice outing and Boomer relaxing on the way home!!





tennis all finished so now it is soccer and hockey for my evening entertainment!!


Stay safe and healthy!!


Yashi Kochi!!

2 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

I've always wanted to see a salmon run in season, but never had the chance. When looking at a program by National Geographic on tv, I could not believe that such large numbers of salmon could run the ladders at one time without killing some of them; the film showed them laying the eggs and subsequently dying. The water areas where they were dying looked so polluted from the carcasses, but I'm sure (just like any food chain) animals must have eaten the carcasses at some point.

How could anyone not fall in love with Boomer; he is so adorable.

Traveled up to Kernsville, NC to visit with my oldest sister this weekend (11 years my senior at age 84). Still recovering from kidney surgery. She rambled around in conversation about when she and her husband, Nick, lived on Vancouver Island, Canada in the early 1960s. I really did not remember that, as I was a young teenager then still in high school and did not pay much attention to my big sister because they were always moving a lot. But my ears perked up on my visit as she was naming off places that you have been reporting on in your blog. She also mentioned Nick's assignment (he was an intelligence officer for the Navy) to a Canadian/NATO Base named Comox; they lived in Royston Beach and she mentioned another town named Courtney. She was thrilled after all these years to see your waterfall pictures on the island; when I took her for lunch, she repeatedly reminded me that we needed to find a place with wi-fi so she could see the pictures. Also, I think it reminded her of the times she and Nick were a happy couple when he was living. Just wanted you to know you made her day.

mexicokid said...

Yes I think the main runs start in October but we did see some....yes Boomer is such a great companion for me.....glad I made your sisters day ITBIS a lovely area where they used to live and the base is still in Comox ..take care les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...