Friday, December 21, 2012

Friday 21st December 2012………..Happy Solstice!!!

Tennis was first on the agenda today 2 hours of  doubles and Carolyn and I played against another man and one of the club Pros…needless to say the first three sets we got hammered but actually tied the last set..it was a lot of fun.

I then went to CH to pick up Daniela as my new schedule permitted and there I got thrown a curve ball.  I was informed that now every time I take Daniela out I have to take another one of the girls as well…..don’t get me wrong if I could I would take every one of them but having this special bond with both my girls is special plus I often take them places where people know they are coming so I think it is unfair of them to do this to me…if they are worried about Daniela being out with me alone they always know Paola comes along….but there was nothing I could do but I will get another meeting because this is not what I want especially on Christmas when I have special plans…anyway I did take Guri with me who is a great kid and as my girls had been asking to see Carolyn we drove to her house and they had prepared some small gifts and a card for her…she was thrilled.  They are always so well behaved!!

Here they are having a cookie!!!

DSCF7305DSCF7306

After I dropped all the girls off I did some more errands in town and bought some plants for the outside planter at the casa…

DSCF7307

Then it was back into town and I picked up Diana and we went into town for the Casa Hogar Posada!!

 

Posadas are an important part of Mexican Christmas celebrations. The word posada means "inn" or "shelter" in Spanish, and these celebrations recreate Mary and Joseph's search for a place to stay in Bethlehem. Posadas are held on each of the nine nights leading up to Christmas, from December 16 to 24th.

Posadas are held in neighborhoods across Mexico and are also becoming popular in the United States. The celebration consists of a procession with candles, sometimes with individuals selected to play the parts of Mary and Joseph, or sometimes images are carried. The procession will make its way to a particular home (a different one each night), where a special song is sung. In this song those outside the house sing the part of Joseph asking for shelter and the family inside responds singing the part of the innkeeper saying that there is no room. The song switches back and forth a few times until finally the innkeeper decides to let them in. The door is opened and everyone goes inside. 

Inside the house there is a celebration which can vary from a very big fancy party to a small get-together among friends. Often the festivities begin with a short Bible reading and prayer. Then the hosts give the guests food, usually tamales and a hot drink - like ponche or atole. Then there are piñatas and the children are given candy.

The nine nights of posadas leading up to Christmas are said to represent the nine months that Jesus spent in Mary's womb, or alternatively, to represent nine days journey to Bethlehem.

The photos are not very good sorry about that!!!

DSCF7308

DSCF7314

DSCF7316

Not a very good one of Daniela…

DSCF7322

So almost made it till midnight and still the world is alive and well!!!

Yashi Koshi!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...