Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday 14th October 2011…NYC!!!

It is now 11am Friday morning and I am just leaving New Jersey heading into Amish country in Pennsylvania for the weekend before heading into Washington DC on Monday…I was not able to get on the Internet last night so this is the report of my day yesterday in the Big Apple!!!

This is where Ramona was parked as you can see quiet and nice!!

ocy13 001

So I left yesterday morning at 7.45am and went across the street to return the Red Box movie outside the store I asked a man for the way to the train station and he asked me if I was walking and I said I was and he said if you wait two minutes while I get a coffee I will drop you of fI am going right by…so I did and he dropped me off at the station saving me about a 20 minute walk…how nice to start the day off that way!!!

The train

ocy13 004

arrived with in a few minutes and it was a non stop train about 25 minutes right into Grand Central Station!!!

ocy13 007

So here I was in the big city and I was just amazed at the tall buildings, the number of people and they all seem to have cell phones!!!!

I realized I had some time before my tour started at 12.30pm in Times Square so I decided to see one major attraction and for me there was no choice I wanted to go to the Twin Towers memorial which just opened last month…by asking a few questions and studying the metro map I  was able to get on the tube

ocy13 011

to Fulton Street and here walked to the memorial sight.  I first had to go to an office and get identified and then issued a ticket for an 11am admission…so I still had lots of time to walk and take in the sights, the smells and the hugeness of the city.

There was a huge tent city erected about three blocks from Wall Street protesting the economic mess of the USA!!

ocy13 012

After going through very strict screening and X ray machines I was allowed with hundreds of other into the Memorial site…it is a very powerful and sobering area so I hope you enjoy these photos!!!

ocy13 019

ocy13 020

Where the two towers stood they have dug and made a beautiful lake area

ocy13 023

The building behind me is the start of the new construction of the new tower one!!

ocy13 026

I am glad I came here and shall never forget the site!!!

I then took the tube back to Times Square

ocy13 031

where I boarded the bus for the 6 hour tour…it was a great way to see the city…there was a very knowledgeable tour guide and at many places we got off and also there was a one hour boat ride..so sit back and enjoy New York with me!!!

ocy13 036The Dakota building where John Lennon was killed just by the gold stand to the left of the doormen!!

ocy13 040Just across the road in Central Park is this memorial to him!!

ocy13 041

ocy13 046

ocy13 049

ocy13 051

Rockefeller Plaza!!!

ocy13 057

ocy13 055

The Empire State building in the fog!!!

ocy13 062

We then bordered the boat for the river cruise!!

The Brooklyn Bridge!!

ocy13 063

The misty skyline!!!

ocy13 070

You all know this lady!!!

ocy13 077

ocy13 083

ocy13 080

Ellis Island!!

ocy13 076

ocy13 086

ocy13 089

ocy13 090

The home of the Dow Jones and the multi million deals is a very narrow street!!!

Times Square at night!!

ocy13 091

I really enjoyed the tour and learned a great deal about the city.

I then walked about ten blocks back to the Grand central station and waited only a few minutes to get the train back to White Plains….the cost for the train return journey was only 14 dollars!!!

It was then about a 20 minute walk to Ramona and got back at 8pm…tired but happy. I went into the store and asked if I could stay one more night and that I would be gone by the morning and the manager was happy to oblige!!!!

So a great day seeing one of the most remarkable cities in the world…..I slept great!!

Now you are up to date as I head back in time to Amish country!!

Map picture

My destination tonight!!!

1 comment:

Kevin Read said...

I've been to NYC twice. Once with Kevin the year before the towers came down (still can't believe how that was possibe) and once 2 years ago. Love the city, there is just so much to see.

Glad you had such a great day there.

Kevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...