Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday 12th April 2012…….the winning streak comes to an end BUT Ashley is still No1 in my eyes!!!!!

So a bit of a catch up here….the blog starts Wednesday morning and Ashley’s game scheduled for 9.45am!!

Can you believe that RAIN caused a two hour delay…that is always hard for athletes but she occupied her time with coaching talks and relaxation!!

IMG_9732

IMG_9736

IMG_9740

IMG_9747

This is Ashley’s opponent!!!!

IMG_9748

Ashley knew before the game that she was playing a girl a full two years older than herself …….let me say right at the start this girl played well and she deserved to win…now in my humble honest opinion is what happened!!!!

The rain delay bothered Ash and when she did walk out on the court and see this girl up close she got intimidated.

Next I have to back track…..the brilliant news from these four days of tennis is that Ashley and has been courted (pun intended) by one of the biggest and best tennis academy's in the USA and they called her Mum and offered her the full meal deal…I am not sure of the specifics but it involves full time training and all expenses paid so in monetary terms alone, for the parents this is awesome…so she WON that!!!!  Which to me is bigger than any tennis game this week!!!

So Ashley knows she is accepted and the head coach of that school was at courtside for the whole game…..I think this got into Ashley’s mind too!!!

Anyway the game begins on a great high as Ash broke and won the first game……with the score tied at 3-3 and Ashley serving two things happened which in my opinion turned the game!!!

Now remember here you all know me and I am honest Joe and also know a little bit about what I am saying and please read it that way!!!

So 3-3 in games and  bit pivotal 7th game Ashley serving and the score 30 – 30…  the next point Ashley’s shot came over the net towards the back and side line exactly where I was sitting and the ball was in and the girl called the ball out…..no doubt it was in Ash knew it you could tell by the look on her face!!!!  Her coach who was sat about 25 feet away knew it!!!!

The next point the exact same thing happened the girl called the ball out and went on to win the game and lead 4-3!!

I knew at this point that Ashley could win this match…she seemed to blow off those points but in the next game when Ashley called a ball out which was out the other girl questioned her call and you could see that Ashley was doomed!!!!

Then the game breaker was when Ashley was at the end where her coach was sat and on set point the other girl hit the ball well long but Ashley seemed afraid to call it out and when she did it was a late call and the girl just screamed at her that she could not call a ball out that late.  I heard Ashley’s couch tell her to call a match official over but you could tell that Ashley was totally done…some tears came, she was completely intimidated and the second set she lost 6-2 but she did fight and went down hitting.

Ashley was devastated and left the court and went off….the winner came to get a ball where Stella and I were and I said to her well done good luck next round…she said to me thanks and that Ashley was the best played she had played and she was amazed when I told her she was on 12 years of age!!!!

Pauline left the facility and after a long talk with her coach Ashley came home with Stella and I and after an initial berating of herself we talked about the game and Ashley bless her, said she was intimidated and did not want to be known as a cheat and her game just sucked……… I asked her if she minded if I said a couple of things and she smiled and said yes…so I just told her this!!!!

The opponent was good and today she deserved to win!!

Every time you go out on court go with the mind set I can  whup this girl!!!

If a ball is out and you have seen a million balls, you know, call it out in a loud voice so there is no mistake and I told her about my soccer reffing…when I wasn’t quite sure of a call but in my mind I had decided to make the call the whistle blow was long and hard and the arm point was direct so all the players knew that I was sure and that was the call!!

I told her Ashley in two years time, that girl’s age,  where will you be in your development…..way better!!

The most important things to take from this tournament are

1.  You are loved and adored by your family and friends.

2. You have such a talent!!

3. YOU WON A SCHOLARSHIP TODAY!!!!!!!!

4. You leave it all on the court!!!

and most important ( just kidding) you have a new and best friend…ME!!!

Back at the condo it was hectic….Stella and I had tickets for a concert in down town LA and we were going there in separate vehicles,,,so it was quick goodbyes to Pauline and Ashley and to thank them both for bringing me into their family at this huge time in their lives and also for a lovely parting gift…the shirt is awesome and the chocolate bar lasted three minutes!!!!

So off I went on the Interstate to LA.

As this point it has been a long post … will just tell you that it all worked out found a place for Ramona to park and met Stella outside the Walt Disney Concert Hall,,,what a building!!!

IMG_9752

IMG_9754

and we enjoyed so much the wonderful talented music of the Soweto Gospel Choir from South Africa!!!!!

choirimage

Stella and I said goodbye outside and she made her way safely back to her home and I found a nice quiet McDonalds to spend the night which where I am now…they all have free Internet.

So what a time I have had since Saturday just enjoyed every minute!!!!!!

Now I have 8 days to get back home so I have to sit and decide which way to go…….Life is great and please watch the tennis news in years to come for my best buddy Ashley!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, I feel so bad for Ashley... but your advice was/is fantastic.

One question tho... where were the line judges? Why did no one stand up to the other player?

Part of tennis, or any sport really, is learning to take the losses with the wins... but that was really awful to call Ashley's shots out when they were in.... not fair.

mexicokid said...

No they have no umps or line judges they do that themselves..but i bet in a couple of days time Ash will be well versed in what to do next time Les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...