Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Tuesday 23 rd October 2018...the Mexican way!!!!




Before I get into my day saw this article on the BBC news web site...








Nasa has released a striking photo of a rectangular iceberg floating in the Weddell Sea off Antarctica.

The US space agency said the object's sharp angles and flat surface suggested it had recently broken away from an ice shelf.

The edges are still pointed, and have not yet been worn down by the ocean waves.

The picture was taken last week by scientists on a Nasa research plane.

Such objects are not unknown, however, and even have a name - tabular icebergs.

These are flat and long and form by splitting away from the edges of ice shelves.

Kelly Brunt, a glaciologist with Nasa and the University of Maryland, said the process of formation was a bit like a fingernail growing too long and cracking off at the end.

They were often geometrically-shaped as a result, she said.

"What makes this one a bit unusual is that it looks almost like a square," she added.

This particular 'berg came from the crumbling Larsen C ice shelf on the Antarctic Peninsula.

It's difficult to tell exactly how big the iceberg is from the photo, but experts said it was probably more than 1.6km (1 mile) across.

And, as with all icebergs, the part visible on the surface comprises just a small fraction of the object's mass - in this case about 10%.


It reminded me of my cross Canada tour a few years ago in Ramona when I went to Newfoundland and saw the most amazing ice bergs!!!



Also love this shot of Mamma and cubs!!!






Today was tennis at 9am for two hours as always great fun and a wonderful start to the day....


I then went up to the Tuesday Market.....













To try to find the woman with the stall that supplied the girl’s purses last year for Three Kings Day....it took a while scouring all the stalls but I did find her and she is willing to supply us with the purses again this year!


Next stop was to renew my motor cycle driving license which expired three years ago........now there is an unwritten rule here in Mexico for any official business three trips are required...so I was going to test that theory!!


So at the office I present the old license, my passport and my tourist visa...I was told I needed copies of the passport and visa....so I walk two doors down and get the copies made and come back!!


Then they gave me an eye test but not the top line or the next but the tenth line down I could not see a thing!!!!!


I think he told me I needed a doctors note or something..anyway he gave me the copies back and said sorry!!


Well we Pearson boys do not give in that easily...so I drove to the supermarket and bought a pair of reading glasses at the highest number strength and back to the office...


This time I had a different official accept my copies and take me to the eye test..I cheated a little by remembering the first four letters and I could see a little bit with the glasses  and reeled off some random letters with a very strong English accent....he looked at me smiled and said 👍 OK.


Then it was time to sit  for a thumb print and a photograph...no worries there!!


Time to pay the 300 pesos and I produced cash but they don’t take cash so then I had to go to the nearest OXXO store this is the Mexican equivalent of Seven Eleven and pay the bill there.....


Back to the office and produce the bill and receipt only to be told I had to have a copy of the receipt ..so back two doors down to the copy place and finally back to the office...where I walked out with a new three year motor cycle licence!!!!!!!!!


I think I need a cuppa tea!!!!!!


Yashi Kochi!!

2 comments:

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Good grief, burocracy at its best! I don't remember the big roof structure at the market, is it something new?

mexicokid said...

Yes new this year.....it was fun battling the system chargers lp

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...