Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Wednesday 6th June 2018.....hiking day!!!


I have really lucked out with the weather here this is an area known for wind and rain and cooler temperatures but yesterday was gorgeous and today more of the same....

I was on the road just before 9 am and a drive of about fifty minutes to the start of my hike up to STICKLE tarn....

What is a tarn if you read below you will find out...

 

As well as mountains the Lake District obviously has - lakes! But not as many 'lakes' as you might think.  In fact the only official 'lake' is Bassenthwaite Lake.  Most of the others are named meres or water, e.g. Windermere, Derwent Water, and there are also a number of tarns.  


You may be asking the question, what's the difference between a lake, a mere and a water?  And you wouldn't be alone.  There are some definitions of 'mere' which suggests that it's a lake which is broad and not particularly deep, or that it is simply a body of standing water which doesn't move - that is, it is not fed by a stream.  Others say there is no identifiable difference but that the different words have just arisen from the way language has developed.  Tarns tend to be smaller lakes higher up in the fells.  A tarn is formed when a glacier leaves behind a bowl like shape which then becomes filled with water.  Although the name 'tarn' tends to be used for the smaller lakes higher in the fells, all the lakes in the Lake District could fit this definition.  


Whatever and why ever the lakes are called what they are, there are a lot of them.  There are 20 major lakes and several tarns.  Popular watersports include water skiing, wakeboarding, sailing, canoeing, kayaking, rowing, motor boats and of course, fishing.  


After parking Little Jan it was all up hill and I mean up....



Yes going to the top...



Where I am heading...





Looking back down...






Beautiful scenery and listening to the sounds of water cascading down the rocks..




Little Jan is in that park somewhere..













I am still filled with cold and found my stamina was reduced  this there fore was a hard hike for me with lots of stops....


But I did make it.....so what is at the top behind that wall??







A lovely tarn.....












I walked around and this was my lunch spot!!!










Coming down was much easier and quicker and I enjoyed the exertion and getting all sweaty....


I then drove down some really small roads 





to my next stop...





Tarn Howes.....





Another beautiful spot





My favourite brand of cow....Oreo cookie 🐄 









A great walk around 












and this looks like just a tree stump right.... 





Wrong


Terrible photo but the stump is covered with coins people have banged a coin into every part of the stump...





Love these reflections shots













Next it was on this stretch of road







It has to be I am sure you may agree one of the most scenic beautiful and a hairy drives in England!!










I like the cloud formations below



My last stop..






































I was home for around 5 pm time for a cups and a shower and some store bought pea soup and then off to a town ten miles away for a kids choir concert...


The venture was packed and over 150 primary school kids put on a smashing show..as dark and disturbing as last night’s play was this concert was uplifting fun and a joy to see such young kids singing with happiness and glee..


Another good day!!!


Yashi Kochi!!






3 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

Tarn Hows donated by Beatrix Potter 1930--how wonderful and how beautiful it all is--just like a fairytale. You were able to see a lot of your Oreo cows and, of course, Mr. Roger Sheep. In spite of your cold, your hiking through all this beauty must be marvelous. Beach and I just have to pay a visit. What is the temperature during the day?

Miss Potter was a shy person from all accounts, but in the Lake District when farms were slowly being sold off, she would boldly appear at all the auctions with her attorney (who she later married) to outbid the men placing bids who were doing so for the sole purpose of developing the farmland. She absolutely did not want that to happen.

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

A beautiful area, great pictures!

mexicokid said...

Thanks it is such a lovely part of the world and I looked out with the weather les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...