Friday, June 08, 2018

Friday 8th June 2018....I see the sea...

Same intro as yesterday regards the weather...


I also mentioned yesterday that I was still not feeling great so today was going to be a rest day...well almost!!!


Took my time over breakfast and then took Ozzie for a nice walk around the village...






I figured it was time to see the sea so off I went to a small town called St.Bees...


The village of St. Bees is on the western coast of Cumbria, at the end of a long valley, four miles south of Whitehaven. It has a long sandy beach, and is a popular holiday resort. Nearby, the rocky promontory of St Bees Head, the westernmost point of Cumbria, is the start of the ‘Coast to Coast walk’.

 

Cumbria’s most westerly point, it was here that St. Bega, an Irish nun, was shipwrecked in the ninth century. Legend has it that St Bega and other surviving nuns went to Lord Egremont for land to build a priory.

 

His response was that they could have any land that was covered by snow the next day (it was midsummer at the time). Next day land between the castle and the sea was covered in snow, and so the priory was built.

 

St Bees Head, a red sandstone bluff, forms one of the most dramatic natural features along the entire coast of North West England. There are four miles of towering precipitous cliffs, of ‘St Bees sandstone’, the red stone used for so many buildings in Cumbria.



My plan was to find some pub with a good lunch menu and a large TV to watch live tennis from Paris...


This is just a tiny village but the sea front is cute...









And also there is this walk up there...






And I found a pub....


So what I decided to do was go for a short hike up the cliffs  and the top for a while then return to the pub for lunch and an afternoon of tennis 🎾 watching!!


This looks like a great hike and reminded me of my Camino days...






The only part that was up..






And then the views walking out towards the lighthouse..















After about forty minutes I stopped here for a while






Then doubled back and the views on the way back..


















It felt really good to stretch my legs and I felt I had more energy and less coughing...


I caught the last set of the first Men’s semi final and it was a thriller and then saw all of the Del Potro and Rafa match which unfortunately after the first set was one sided with Rafa again in the final.






I like this shot because after September when I shall attend the US Open in New York...the French will be the only Grand slam I have not attended and yes it is on my list!!






I took the back roads back home narrow roads and great views







The big and the small..






Anyone know what kind of cow this is???






Well another good day and I feel ok after my long soak in the tub and some dinner.....


Yashi Kochi!!!


2 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

Les, the Highland Cow is a Scottish breed with their long horns and brown wavy coat. Dates back to the 12th century. Known for their low cholesterol meat. Can endure harsh weather conditions. I looked it up.

mexicokid said...

Thanks a couple of other friends told me that too......lp

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...