Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday 22nd January 2013…at last an easy day!!!

Well my constant whining must have worked because this morning woke to sunshine and blue skies!!

9 am tennis game…. men’s doubles which again was a lot of fun and then home for the day.

Did some laundry, cleaning, sorting, Spanish study and sunbathing, washed the car and the scooter but all in my own time and I found it relaxing.

Made a nice omelet for supper and now settled watching live tennis from Australia.

I was on the computer and came across this from my archives…

scan0001

I reckon this was taken in 1972 and I lasted about  6 weeks on the motor cycle squad………I have no idea why they chose me for this squad but I was always uncomfortable on the bike and the first guy that I pulled over was hilarious…the roads in Bermuda are very small as is the island…but there are many roads out of town where the lanes are tiny and the drop off is down a bank.

So I am out on patrol and saw this guy on a motor cycle speed past where I was parked….I started up and caught him and put on my flashing lights and siren and pulled him over…he stopped and I pulled up behind him…  and in my best manly cop movement got off my motorcycle and did the swagger walk towards him BUT…..I had forgotten to put down my stand to prop the bike up and as I am strutting towards him I turn and see my prized white Honda roll down the side bank!!!!!!!

I never missed a beat and told the guy it was his lucky day…help me pull up my bike and you get a break on the ticket!!!!  Should have been a warning because the next day I am on the stretch of road by the airport which is long and straight and I was chasing a speeder…I reckon I was going over 50mph when I lost control of my bike and started heading in the opposite lane…I had no choice but to ditch the bike and I did 5 summersaults and finished up in the bushes which my elbows and bum skinned almost down to the bone but fortunately no other serious injuries…..I was in hospital for over a week and came close to getting skin grafts on my elbows….I was off work for 6 weeks and on my first day back my boss told me that the bike I crashed had been fixed and the only way I would overcome the fear was to get back on the bike and go out on patrol…so I did!!!

I had been out about 3 minutes when I came up a hill to a stop sign and ran into the back of a car…no damage or injuries except my pride.   I called on my radio and asked for assistance…two buddies came out and one of them drove the bike back to the headquarters and I rode in the police car.

I asked for an immediate transfer and the next day I was Detective Constable Pearson!!!

 

So here I am 40 years later really enjoying my cycle days!!!!

DSCF6178

Yashi Koshi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...