Monday, October 01, 2012

Sunday 30th September 2012…….Viva Mexico!!!!!

I set my alarm for 6am as I wanted to get an early start to the border but I woke up at 5.45am and was on my way by 6am…it was only 30 minutes to the border and I parked in the parking lot to go inside to get my tourist visa and car permit.  There was only me there and it took only 15 minutes I had helped a bit by printing copies of my driving license, passport, registration and Mexican insurance.  I do not know yet how many pesos to the dollar till I get Internet but I think maybe 12 pesos to a dollar…it cost me 290 pesos for the tourist visa and I had to put a 400 US dollar deposit down for my vehicle permit which is returned when I leave…so the whole process was easy and I have a 180 day visa and  a 180 day vehicle permit.  Now the biggie going through Customs and Immigration there was a choice of the green arrow lane or the red arrow lane…I took the green and the officer smiled and waved me through…Viva Mexico!!!  I was not looking forward to being stopped and searched as I have Yaretzi pretty well packed…so here I was 6.45am and my first Mexican photo of the entrance to the border town!!

DSCF5914-001

I had chosen my route and the first hour was a small road through a mountain pass

DSCF5915-001

There was no traffic and the road was in good repair.

DSCF5916-001

Very scenic through the mountain with the wild flowers in full bloom!!

DSCF5924-001

I came to my first town and you have to be so careful with the TOPES……speed bumps!!!  The are usually signed but sometimes not and usually there is one on the entrance to town, in the middle of town and also at the far end of town..but this can change and believe me if you take one of these at speed the damage could be substantial…..also there is usually big trucks slowing down for them.

DSCF5926-001

Soon I was onto the great toll roads which are 4 lanes in good shape and usually have a speed limit of 100 km…..

I went through 10 tolls altogether for a cost of 750 pesos another advantage to taking the toll roads is that the Green Angels, roadside assistance vehicles, ply the toll roads and also if you get a flat tire I do believe the toll road insurance covers you..plus it is much quicker easier on the car taking the tolls as opposed to the free roads which go through all the small towns and the truckers prefer these roads.

I also went through a total of three military check points and was waved through each one!!

I piggy backed this truck for a long time

DSCF5928-001

He was going just over the speed limit so I thought a good idea to stay behind him for wind resistance, he would get pulled over first by radar and if an banditos on the road they would not see me!!!

I stopped once for gas…the stations here are all Government run and one brand Pemex….I put in 500 pesos and the tank was full and good for another 800 km…I love that!!!

Stopped for a few minutes here when the train passed by!!

DSCF5929-001

It was just about dusk

DSCF5939-001

When I pulled into what seemed like a good place to spend the night.

I paid for my room 350 pesos and it is basic but clean and with hot water..

DSCF5941

It looks like it may be the hotel where the Federal Police stay as there are two police vehicles in the parking lot and one right next to me where I am parked outside my room.

I drove a long way 1080 km and I know some of you think I am nuts but let me explain my reasoning's…

My car is packed with stuff and the least number of nights on the road the safer it will be.

I love driving this new little car it is a dream after driving Ramona…..with Ramona any sudden move was a hassle and going through the small towns and the big cities a definite challenge..so I do enjoy the freedom and ease of Yaretzi, she has got lots of power if needed, visibility is great and did I mention that gas mileage.

I don’t drive when I am sleepy I pull over and wash my face and legs and stretch.

I have my Mexican cruise control

I have my 12 hours of I pod music.

I do a lot of thinking whilst driving.

Is that enough reasons??  Oh and by the way I always stop if I see something may be interesting!!!

So there is no kitchen facilities here so my ice box drinks are still cold and I will have some cereal but I miss my tea…

I had a great long hot shower and now doing the blog and it is 10.30pm and I am ready to sleep.

The route today.

 

image

2 is where the hotel is.

 

This is the route tomorrow

 

 

 

image

The red 4 is SMA  about 450 miles away!!!

Enjoyed my first day in Mexico and hard to believe we say good bye to September, where did the summer go??

 

 

Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits!!!!   October 1st 2012……I had a great sleep the bed was comfy and the hotel quiet and I woke up refreshed at 5.45 am so I was on the road 5 minutes later and I realized in the grand scheme of things I did not have a long driving day, by my standards, and I would be in SMA late afternoon.

The roads were easy nearly all toll roads….7 tolls for 400 pesos!!!

DSCF5942

SMA is the State of GTO..

DSCF5943

Ask if you do not know what GTO stands for??

Mobile vegetables anyone??

DSCF5946

My first glimpse of the reservoir and SMA.

DSCF5948

The entrance to the community where Linda and Guy’s casa is located.

DSCF5953

Well I pulled in at 1pm which is 3pm SMA time and from Nanaimo it is exactly 5020 km!!!

It feels so good to be in my home town now and I am staying at L & G”S beautiful casa until they come down which I hope them is real soon!!!!!

The Internet and phone and TV are not working so I shall have to work on that BUT Linda here I am doing chore No.2….

DSCF5956

I am going over to see Carolyn she is not well and hopefully cheer her up and perhaps use her computer or Internet.

Will blog about all of this travel and new home tomorrow….blessings Les

image

SMA right in the middle!!!

4 comments:

Paula and Jerry said...

Welcome to your new home!!!

Rick said...

Les, you make this look all too easy. I feel like jumping in my car and driving down there.
I love reading your blog and your adventures.


Cheers,
Rick

Croft said...

The GTO was the car from the 60's I always wanted to own, or at least drive! I am happy to see Mexico named a State after it! ;)

Kevin Read said...

Nice, that was a lot of driving. We'll be doing the same thing in a few weeks. Can't wait to get back to Mexico!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...