Sunday, December 07, 2008

Sunday adventure..

Decided today was the day for some exploring and my point of destination wasbbv 087

This is a small town about 9 miles from SMA.  I packed a lunch and drinks and headed out for where I thought I could catch the local bus to the town.  Found the right departure point and my travel book told me 10am.  So right on time at 11.10am the rickety old bus set out on the journey.

25 minutes and 9 pesos later I arrived at Atotonilco.  Sunday was market day.bbv 001 bbv 002

 

 

 

This town is very famous for the local church named the Sanctuary of Atotonilco.bbv 007

bbv 025

bbv 012

My inside photos did not turn out too well as I had to turn off the flash.bbv 016

bbv 017

bbv 021

 

 

 

 

 

This church has been a place of worship and pilgrimage since 1740 and during the years 1000’s of people come here to worship.  It is nothing remarkable from the outside but inside quite beautiful.

The  Sanctuary also has a reputation as the site of flagellantism.bbv 006

Many whips are sold at the stalls in the market.bbv 026

Now this part I am not sure of but it is what I believed to have been taking place.  I noticed many men walking up this side street.bbv 028

I followed them and got through the gate but then was stopped from going any further.bbv 029

Now I could quite clearly hear yells and moaning coming from inside the building and I can only imagine what was taking place inside.

I came back the way I had gone and then saw these hundreds of men marching through the street.bbv 030 bbv 031 I followed them out of townbbv 032

As they were walking they were also chanting, they marched about 2 milesbbv 033 then turned around and went back into the town.bbv 034

I really don’t know what the meaning of all of this was but it was very interesting and quite noticeable that there were no women present.

Off on a gravel road I noticed a sign for a Monastery so I followed the signs and came upon this sign.

bbv 083

bbv 035

It was about a 2 mile walk and was well worth the effort.bbv 052

bbv 037 bbv 040

Inside there were a few monks saying prayers.bbv 042

bbv 043

 

 

 

 

 

This was a lovely place very serene and quiet and amazing what the difference between the scenes I had witnessed a couple of miles away.bbv 038

Next I went back to the highway and saw lots of vehicles going down another gravel road so I started to walk that way and after about 2 minutes a car stopped and I hopped in and had a lift to the local rodeo.bbv 059 bbv 058

 

 

 

 

 

bbv 063

They start them young here.bbv 078

bbv 071

It was a very interesting afternoon.  I walked back to the highway and this time got a much better bus and can you believe it was only 6 pesos!!

Now had a long shower, soup for supper and listening to the live broadcast of the Canucks hockey game.  I am a little tired I reckon I walked about 8 miles and of course another great day.  Better get some studying done for my class tomorrow, best wishes to all..

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...