Saturday, December 20, 2008

the days get better..

I do feel somewhat guilty writing here about how great my days are when I know that a lot of friends in Nanaimo are suffering with incredible amounts of snow and minus temperatures…….OK I am over it now….

IMG_1665 Could hardly believe my eyes just left the house and on my way to the main road and came across this incredible event.

I was on my way to the Rv park to meet Barb and Frank and I was appointed tour guide and we went on a walking tour of down town SMA.

So off we went on our grand tour

IMG_1666

IMG_1670 Do like this photo with the 4 bells!

IMG_1674

What a beautiful church..

We had a good afternoon and I am glad my friends like this town as much as I do.

At 6pm we all went down town again to the main plaza where a Posada was taking place.

Not one event, but a string of December events in SMA the nine nights of the Posadas—which means "inn"—represent the nine-day journey of Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem. In a different colonia each night, a boy dressed as Joseph and a young girl dressed as Mary (usually riding donkey) parade through the streets knocking on doors only to be turned away because there is "no room at the inn." After all, sings the household, "you might be a rogue."

At each door, they sing the traditional Posada Song, "Pidiendo Posada," (Begging for Shelter).

Finally, the Holy Couple finds an open door and a welcome, and everyone is offered food and hot fruit ponche to drink. Piñatas get broken and candy gobbled.

What was so special about this Posada is that it was being performed by Paola and the girls from Casa Hogar Santa Julio, so yet another chance to be in contact with Paola.IMG_1676

So they are ready to go being led by the the donkey and sheep.  Paola is in the pack of girls and she has on the green head band.IMG_1678

The girls sing as they walk and then stop at a door and knock, sing their song and then get turned away.

IMG_1680

IMG_1681

IMG_1687

The parade eventually find a house that will let them enter, this was a huge house and the procession ends at a manger where the girls sing carols.IMG_1701

Then the fun begins with the smashing of the Piñatas having some food and drink and of course taking photos.IMG_1706 IMG_1704

I love the look on her face…IMG_1705 I know about 10 of these girls from their English classes and I cannot even begin to tell you how it feels when they see me, they call my name and come running with their arms open ready for a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Needless to say it was another incredible day and evening one I wish you all could have shared with me.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...