Saturday, February 16, 2008

I am really wanting to tell you that today was just an ordinary day nothing much happening but it seems like every day there is something going on for me and today was no exception.

When I left the orphanage this morning my plan was to drive about 40 miles to the huge city of Tuxtla Gutierrez where the Canon del Sumidero is located about 10 miles outside of town. There is a paved mountain road that leads to the summit of the canyon about 1200 meters and there are also boats that go down the Rio Grijalva through the canyon. I had decided that the mountain road was to difficult to find in a large strange city so I would find my way to where the boats were located and take a cruise.

As I approached the city the “Pearson stubborn streak” bared it’s ugly head and I decided to find the mountain road. The signs in this part of Mexico are much better than up north and with the aid of my sense of direction, street maps, signs and asking only once I found the road and it was a great thrill to travel along it. This area is a National Park and the cost of admission was 20 pesos, not even 2 dollars. There were 5 lookouts along the way, each better and more spectacular than the previous ones and the view from the top was indeed breath taking. So I was really glad I changed my mind and it wasn’t too stressful of a journey that comes later in the day!!

After stopping for lunch at one of the lookouts I quite easily found my way to the docks for the boat ride found a good place to leave Ramona in the what I hoped was the capable hands of a boy about 10 years old who came up to me wanting to watch the vehicle. A small fee and candy changed hands and down to the docks. The cost for the boat ride was 130 pesos and the boat had about 9 passengers and away we went.

It was really a wonderful ride and the green waters of the river and the sheerness of the canyon was amazing. Saw many crocodiles, colourful bushes and trees and a host of birds. We went to the end of the canyon where the dam is located and then to a waterside restaurant and pool. This is where I watched and laughed so hard at this collection of Mexicans, women, men, children and grandparents in the pool playing baseball, take my word it was hilarious!

We had gone maybe half way back on the return trip when the motor seized up and would not start and we drifted into the side on the river. There were many other boats passing but going in the wrong direction and it wasn’t until about 40 minutes later that a replacement boat arrived and brought us back safe and sound. Quite a memorable day.

It was my intention to spend the night in the parking area where the boats are located but I was told it was not possible and it was getting late so I decided to continue on to the next town on my list San Cristobal de las Casas and find a place outside the city to stay before I went into the city tomorrow and to the RV park, this is where my plans went astray!

I knew it would be close to me getting there before dark but when I came upon the road blocked about 20 minutes later because of an accident I knew I was in trouble. This was a mountain pass and nowhere to turn around and now it was dark, so I had no choice but to carry on.

I got behind a big truck, which I thought was a good idea, and just followed him and arrived at San Cristo without incident. So now I am approaching this huge city at night and not knowing where to go I figured it was to late to find the park in the dark so I saw a Ford Dealership on my left that looked to have a nice paved area at the side of the building. As I drive a ford I thought there is the answer, now just to find a place to turn around and the real fun begins!

About 5 blocks down I find a turn off to my left and I took thought I could do a loop and come back on the same highway as the Ford Dealership WELLLLLL I finished up in the back of town in streets that were so narrow that I knew I was in deep trouble. I managed to find my way back almost to the way I had come in with just one more tight turn to go and as I made this turn there was a vehicle parked on this already narrow road. It was dark and no one around and I approached this vehicle and stopped got out pulled in my wing mirrors and didn’t really think I could squeeze by or if I could I needed some help in navigation. There was a church about 50 yards away so I locked up Ramona with her hazard lights flashing ran up to the church and found two kids about 17 years old playing basketball. In my Spanglish I asked them for help and they came with me and they realized what I was asking them to do and you know what?? They guided me through and when I say less than an inch to spare I am not kidding. The only other truly amazing thing was the look on their faces when I gave them a 50 pesos note, about 5 dollars, for their help. This was by far the worst situation I have been in since I started but it boosted my confidence that I didn’t panic and that I got through it, although I do notice tonight I have a few grey hairs!!!!!.

Arrived at the Ford dealership and drove and turned around in the back parking lot and went looking for the guard that I knew would be around somewhere. When he found me and we talked a little and a Canadian key chain was offered he let me stay here for the night. This is a very safe and quiet place to be and in the morning I can find my way to the camp ground stay a couple of nights and explore this city which is reputed to be one of the nicest in Mexico.

So you see just another ordinary day in Mexico, Pura Vida and enjoy some great canyon photos.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...