Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thursday 19th July 2012…well you better sit down for this one!!!

Lots to talk about before I get into my awesome day!!!

I have had 24 hours to think about the situation with Paola and you all know that she was not happy and not herself when I was down there in the Winter…she wanted to go and live with her family especially after her two younger Brothers were taken out of the boy’s home and back to be with their Mother and that is where Paola wanted to be and her acting out behavior at Casa Hogar proved this. Even though the circumstances 6 years ago that lead her to live in Casa Hogar were sad perhaps now things will be better at home for her so I wish her all the love and hope she is nurtured and cared for and when I go down to live in September I will figure out what my options are to see and spend time with her.

Today is Ramona’s Birthday!!!!!  6 years ago Karen drove me down to Everett in Washington State and I brought her back home to Nanaimo.  She has been a huge part of my life since and the 80000 miles and over 800 nights sleeping together a bond is formed..so it is fitting that on her Birthday I very sadly announce that we are going to part company!!!

I have been everywhere I can go with her except Alaska and I was always afraid that trip would have been hard on her plus there are cruise ships that go right by my bedroom window that I can take.  With my new life style moving down to san Miguel in September my thought was to drive her down store her there and in the Spring drive back and put her on the market but I now realize it would be so much easier to do that now.

So yes she is for sale!!!  I love to travel and the places I want to go and see in the future will be on other Continents and therefore our time together is ending.

I have put a package together regarding all the information and the price and if you can by word of mouth spread the word that would be great…if anyone is seriously interested they can e mail me at mexicokid99@yahoo.ca    and put Ramona in the heading so I know it is not spam!!!

IMG_6824

IMG_8843

IMG_8540

DSCF9378

8

I think that I will get a good offer the only downside is that I know the mileage is high 80000 miles BUT they have been the best miles of my life.  It is fully loaded with everything and the price includes Bonita…so please help if you can.  I shall be back in Nanaimo on 1st September but my great family Heather and Kirby have offered to show her to serious interested people!!!

Thanks Sherry for sending this to me I do like it!!!!

sherry

Ok now to today!!!

Well there is another new woman in my life!!!!!

I know you have heard this before…

 

Her name is Greta and she is Greek and lovely!!!!!

DSCF2663

She is exactly like Bonita 49cc and for the whole day everything included it was 18 Euros and boy did we have fun.  I love to explore and take the off roads and the first place we went to explore was here

DSCF2664

About 7km out of town what was nice about this place was that it was free and there were no tourists I had the whole place to myself and it was very interesting!!

DSCF2667

DSCF2675

DSCF2668

DSCF2680

It was only a small area but steeped in history and the set up was done with class and I enjoyed this visit…the view from the cave!!

DSCF2684

Next I took a turn I saw yesterday whilst hiking…

DSCF2689

It was a park like setting with a small church this bell that I just had to ring and in the distance where M is a monastery..what a view and all to myself…this was the place for lunch!!!

Afterwards I went to the door of the church never expecting it to be open but

DSCF2695

it was and inside was lovely..this place really was way out in the sticks…no body around just how I like it!!

Back on the bike and I enjoyed taking this shot…

DSCF2688

With a real good eye you can see buildings on top of the mountains.

My next stop was the top of the hill where the bus dropped me off yesterday there was a small footpath that I saw that according to my map leads to an isolated cross.

I found the path and started the hike it was about 4km in on rocky but maintained footpath as usual no one around and the views were quite stunning…

DSCF2697

DSCF2698

DSCF2703

I really got into the back country now

DSCF2707

when I saw the cross in the next valley!!!

At this point I had hiked maybe 5 km because at one point I took a wrong turn and I was hot and also I was only wearing my Crocs and I thought do I need to go to that cross?

When I retired and started travelling I promised myself that every time I came upon somewhere and you have that inner struggle shall I do it shall I go there I ALWAYS do…in the past this had lead me to some stunning vistas sometimes it had led to some really wonderful busts…..so I decided to go.

DSCF2708

Getting closer

DSCF2710

Nearly there

DSCF2711

There we are…so was it worth it or was it a bust what do you think???

Well

I

was

GOB SMACKED!!!!!!!!!

 

Because I looked to my left

DSCF2713

DSCF2714

DSCF2716

DSCF2715

It looks like a doll house!!!

DSCF2718

I took the path on the other side down there and came to the steps

DSCF2728 and took them but at the top a huge door that was locked!!!

DSCF2727

DSCF2722

 

I asked the owner of the apartments about the monastery and he told me it is closed to the public and is not advertise but when they have special monks in town they sometimes stay there he also said inside is like a 5 star hotel!!!

This one is NOT in the tour guides how amazing that I should stumble across this incredible monastery tucked away miles from all this!!!!

DSCF2729

I cannot believe how lucky I am to have such amazing adventures it seems every day..this view will stay with me that is for sure……

Came back through town and saw this lovely man!!!

DSCF2658

Another turtle!!!

DSCF2666

How many cats do you see on this car??

DSCF2734Two on the front and three on top right??

Wrong do not forget about the one on the back!!!

DSCF2737

My final view of the rocks from the balcony at the apartments!!

DSCF2738

DSCF2740

So I have had three magical days here and tomorrow I take the 10am bus to Athens a trip of around 6 hours.  In Athens I am staying for three nights with a lovely lady couch surfing..we have been in touch for a while and she sounds so nice, her English is better than mine and her beautiful apartment is in the center of town and I am hoping she will be able to spend some time showing me around.

Map picture
Map picture

Early Monday morning I fly out of Athens to the Island of Santorini advertised as the best island in Greece where I have a place booked for three days so as always I will be in touch when I can and blog when I can…..blessings to all and sorry for the long post!!

3 comments:

Carol said...

(I moved this comment up from yesterday's post so you would see it...)

Hi Les!

Wow oh wow.... vertiginous is the key word hereI I got vertigo looking at the photo with the green border... how did they build them SO CLOSE to the edge?!

Reminds me a bit of the mines way up in the 14,000 ft high mountains in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado... but they are not of the same scale of the monasteries and the nunnery. Simply astounding.

The rock formations remind me a bit of Cappadocia in Turkey... I am pretty sure you will visit there! You will love it... best, sending good thoughts.

ps... I think you missed your calling as a tour guide! Altho, now I guess you are a virtual tour guide! Thanks so much.

mexicokid said...

thanks so much this trip just sems one day after the next amazing beauty but finding that "lost " one yesterday was one for the memory banks and yes next week will find me in Cappadoia....glad you are enjoying my trip blessings Les

Carol said...

Yes, that was truly the definition of a "hidden gem"... makes me a believer in your decision-making logic... if in doubt, go for it!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...