Saturday, July 28, 2012

Saturday 28th July 2012…… How is it possible????

Well we have a winner in the guess song competition an my good tennis buddy from SMA/Edmonton Isaiah is the lucky winner of the great prize guessing correctly   “me and my shadow”!!!

Had a really god sleep and the hotel here offers breakfast in with the price so I went down for cereal and yogurt and to pick up my frozen drinks they had let me put in their freezer last night and I was ready for my big day.

My first shock was when I came out of the hotel which is in a busy pedestrian thorough fare…the whole streets were covered in a market hundreds of stalls!!!!

DSCF3313DSCF3312

Forgot to mention yesterday when I arrived in Selcuk and asked about finding the hotel a man called me into his little bus office…he addressed me as Mr.Canada. he saw the flag on my back pack.  His name was Tony and one of those people you like right away, he spoke perfect English and he asked me where I was going after I left Selcuk and he told me that he could book a bus there for me..this was great so I paid for a ticket for tomorrow.but more about that tomorrow BUT he also told me how to say thank you in Turkish….he explained that I just have to say three English words quickly and that will get me by…the three words are “two sweet dreams”  I have been using this and it works.

Anyway I took a taxi here first thing hoping to avoid the tourists!!!

DSCF3314

DSCF3315

DSCF3316

This was a small church rather plain but steeped with history!!!

DSCF3319

DSCF3320

The outside wall was covered with notes!!!!

DSCF3323

DSCF3324

What a beautiful sight!!!!

DSCF3326

My brother told me when I get to the ancient city of Ephesus to enter from the top got and being the obedient younger Bro’ I did and here I am Gob smacked again!!!

Please Google this place and read all about it I will just show the photos!!!

DSCF3329

DSCF3330

DSCF3332

DSCF3333

DSCF3335

I really have never been to a place like this before it was huge with ruins everywhere and really I just took my time like the above photo I went to the top of the seats and just sat and let my imagination run away…and then if you are lucky you get a break in the tourists!!!

DSCF3339

DSCF3340

DSCF3344

DSCF3347

DSCF3351

DSCF3356

DSCF3357

DSCF3358

DSCF3365

 

DSCF3368

DSCF3369

DSCF3370

DSCF3373

This was a little bit Walt Disneyish but the kids enjoyed it!

DSCF3384

DSCF3389

DSCF3396

I sat here also for a very long time deep in thought and as my Granny would say “counting my many Blessings” and again if you wait long enough…

DSCF3403

Words cannot adequately describe the scene!!!!

This place was so packed with tourists and it was nice when I left I decided to walk the 5km back to the hotel getting home at 4.30pm.

The hotel advertised a swimming pool close by so I asked the owner and he took me and gave me the key and said to lock up when I left.  It is like SMA you never know what is behind those doors…same here what is behind here?

DSCF3417

DSCF3419

I enjoyed my time here and walked back through the center again…..

I love to try to capture locals and check out these guys playing a kind of domino game and drinking the tea from those tiny cups!!!

DSCF3413

Interesting birds nest..

DSCF3411

DSCF3412

I was in need of sugar and saw this store and went in

DSCF3420

I bought a couple it seems they are walnuts and pistachios!!!

Around the corner from the hotel is a Mosque and I hear the men at various times in the day and so I went around for a look see…..that is an English expression!!

DSCF3415

DSCF3416

I waited till everyone had left except this one old man and I approached him in my most humble way and I also had thought ahead and was wearing long pants, and asked him if I could go inside.  he had no idea what I said but smiles and hand gestures go a long way and he most graciously left pointed to my shoes which I took off and he opened the door and led me inside and then he turned around and went outside closing the door.

So there I was on my own in bare feet in this most incredible place!!!!!

DSCF3441

DSCF3442

DSCF3447

When I came out

DSCF3448

I waited for him to finish praying and then shook his hand and he smiled at me and touched his heart………I shall never forget this day!!!!!

I came outside and took this photo

DSCF3450

Outside on a bench there was a lovely Korean young lady sitting taking the same photo..she said you just went inside and I told her yes and asked if she wanted to see the photos….she was just so thrilled we sat and talk for a long time…

I then went for supper at the same place as yesterday

DSCF3435

Did I mention I bought myself a treat in the market do you like it??

DSCF3431

or do you prefer this one??

DSCF3430

Good choice I bought them both.

Well what a day again!!!!

Tomorrow I get the 9.15 bus to Pamukkle…wait till you see what is there!!!!!

Have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

Carol said...

My guess for the song was "She'll be coming around the mountain when she comes"!! Ha...

Isn't Turkey wonderful?

When you go to Cappadocia, you should also go to Pammukule... with the lukewarm soaking waters in natural limestone pools... those water inspired St. Paul's admonition to not "be ye neither hot or cold"...

Also, thank you in Turkish is Teşekkür Ederim... as you probably know... said as one word and pronounced "teshEKuriderim"... with emphasis on EK

What does two sweet dreams mean?

mexicokid said...

Well I was told 2 sweet dreams when said quickly means thanks and in two hours i am on the bus to Pammukkle...so great minds...thanks Les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...