Monday, July 09, 2012

Monday 9th July 2012…..a long bus day!!

After another great sleep I was up at 7am and packed up..after a few days now I have a good system for packing and between the back pack and the day pack everything fits so well.

I left at 7.30am for the 5 minute walk to the bus station and checked my back pack into the hold underneath found a great window seat an d off to Dubrovnik a journey of close to 7 hours.

Not a bad trip I had food and drinks and the bus stops often   …even stopped into a new country for about 5 miles!!!

DSCF1974

DSCF1978

The journey was mainly down the beautiful coast..

DSCF1956

..it gave me chance to reflect back on my first 10 days on the road.

This kind of travelling was new to me not having the comfort and security of Ramona for the last 6 years of travel but I think I have done really well so far and the accommodation has been great and very reasonable.  The sights have seen have been spectacular and I would not hesitate to recommend Slovenia and Croatia to anyone.

Obviously the sights have been a huge part of the enjoyment but also the interactions with the locals play a huge part too…. I shall never forget talking to my hosts about the effects of the war that only ended 20 years ago and how proud she was of her family.  The young man who fixed my computer but couldn’t get a job.  His English was better than mine and he already knew the name of the new President of Mexico 24 hours after he was elected.

The thrill/risk of renting the apartment from the old woman on the street and then last night as I was walking home in the old center which is thronged with happy friendly people these two young girls who were selling shells from the side walk…they had table clothes on their box and they looked so pretty and their English was very good..Anita was 10 years old and Gabriel was 12…I bought a shell from each of them for 1 Kuna about 20 cents…both girls gave me an extra shell and they both got great tips….told them their English was lovely lots of smiles sorry I didn’t have my camera it was charging back in the room.

I got to Dubrovnik about 3pm and had researched how to get to the old city quarter where there was a well recommended hostel located..I don’t fancy staying in a dorm like environment but my book told me they will find you rooms in other close by apartments so that is where I headed!!

I wrote the above whilst on the bus but there was a change of plan I realized that having to get a taxi into the old part of town and then about a 15 minute walk was not the best thing to do in the heat of the day so I resorted to plan B….the ladies at the bus station!!!

The one I picked told me she had a clean room with kitchen and bathroom, terrace and Wi-Fi and about 10 minute walk to the old city for 220 Kuna a night and that her son would come and drive me there….sounded good to me and that is what I did.

Well everything was true but the bathroom is shared as is the kitchen, both very clean and the room is to say quite small…

DSCF1981

but what else do I need??

DSCF1982

and the view from the terrace

DSCF1984

and the flowers outside the front door…

DSCF1988

So another good job on rooms!!!

I found a huge supermarket about 5 minutes away and stocked up with drinks and fruit and then decided to walk down to the old city..it was now after 6pm.

My travel book describes Dubrovnik and especially the old city as a jewel and one of the best in Europe and I will not disagree!!!

DSCF1991

DSCF1992

The main entrance to the city…

DSCF2001

and the main street

DSCF2015

Just alive and bustling with people and this is the only country next to Mexico where the kids are loved and taken out and no tears!!!

DSCF2014

I shall do a tour of the old city before I leave but for now there is music in the air…these children were on stage and I found out it was just a rehearsal for the main concert at 9pm!!

DSCF2013

It seems like the Madre is in charge of the choir!!!

DSCF2006

DSCF2030

I walked around for a while and then decided to treat myself to supper so I picked an outdoor café close to the stage and had a great meal and whilst I was eating the choir started and they were good.

There were hundreds of people around and so many kids and not once did I feel threatened or scared or see anyone being out of order.

It was very humbling to be in this magnificent city surrounded by many people listening to a great kids choir and knowing just over 20 years ago this city was under siege and being bombed every night!!!

DSCF2040

DSCF2043

DSCF2044

Treated myself also to another national team soccer shirt…

DSCF2057DSCF2058

A bit snazzy don’t you think??

I didn’t get back till 11.30pm and no issues walking the streets…..now for a shower and bed as I have a full day tomorrow starting with a kayak tour at 10am…..blessings!!!

2 comments:

Paula and Jerry said...

The city looks amazing! It is definitely on our bucket list. Thanks for the great pictures. We do have one request, though.... Please promise NOT to wear that new soccer shirt the morning after we have had a few margaritas in SMA!!! :o) Enjoy the rest of your Croatia adventure! Cheers!

mexicokid said...

That shirt is amazing too you will see me coming from many miles and everyone should have this country on their list and this city......WOW...blessings Les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...