Saturday, February 14, 2009

Saturday 14th February…Happy Valentines Day..

floewers I would like to take this opportunity to say hello and to wish a very happy Valentines Day to all the women in my life.  I know that sounds like a Willie Nelson song and and I don’t mean it that way.  There have been many women who have played and still play a significant role in my life, I don’t want to name names but you know who you are and I thank you all for being there for me.  So to these special ladies I miss you all and blessings to you.

Another reason this is such an important day in my life is that this is the day that my Mum passed away in 1995.mum2 Here we are in Bermuda you only have to check out the side burns and the crazy shirt to know this was the fabulous seventies.

This one was taken in England on my first day as a Bobby, probably 1968.mum 1

Mum and Dad had been in Portugal for 7 weeks and arrived home about 11.30pm in the evening and all was well they had a great holiday and they went to bed.  They slept in separate bedrooms because of my Mum’s snoring, so as usual Dad kissed her good night and went to his room.  In the morning he went into her room to find her gone, she had died in her sleep.  No illness, no lingering health defects, just a weak heart, she was 75 years old.

She was the most remarkable women I have ever met in my whole life and I am so proud and happy she was my Mum.  I never heard her say a disparaging remark about anyone, she never lost her temper and had a kind word for everyone.  Mum was always there for me even though we spent nearly 25 years several thousand miles away from each other.  She was the only person who ever called me by my full name and when she did I knew I was in trouble and that I had better stop hanging a licking on my older brother!!!

Many years since you have been gone and Mum I love you still and miss you and wish you could have taken that ride in Ramona.

I make it a tribute and celebration of her life to let a balloon go on this day and today was no exception.IMG_4040   IMG_4044

 

 

 

 

 

 

So now to the big game I told you about yesterday.  My Nephew Andy sent me a link to a website where I could watch the game on my computerIMG_4036

 

Sheffield United 1-1 Hull

Greg Halford (right) scored Sheffield United's goal

Halford (right) put the Blades ahead but it was not enough to secure victory

Championship side Sheffield United earned an FA Cup fifth-round replay after a dogged display against Hull.

The hosts took the lead after only six minutes when Greg Halford headed in from David Cotterill's cross.

But the Blades lost defender Chris Morgan to injury after he was hurt in a challenge with Michael Turner, and Hull took advantage to come into the game.

The Premier League side levelled the score when Kamil Zayatte powerfully headed in an Andy Dawson centre.

Hull could probably do without the replay as they look to secure their status in the top flight.

But United's performance was just what they needed after stuttering in their promotion push over the past month.

The game marked the first anniversary of Kevin Blackwell's appointment as Blades boss.

But he had problems ahead of the game, with strikers Darius Henderson and Arturo Lupoli suspended and cup-tied respectively and injuries limiting him to just five substitutes.

He was at least boosted by the return from a hamstring injury of captain Morgan but the defender did not last the first half.

Hull decided not to risk knee injury victim Jimmy Bullard.

The Blades grabbed the lead when Hull left-back Dawson slipped, allowing Cotterill to cross for Halford to plant a firm header past the recalled Boaz Myhill.

 

Hull responded with Richard Garcia heading over from a Dawson corner.

At the other end Halford could have had a second after breaking clear of a Hull defence but shot straight at Myhill.

Shortly after, Morgan was substituted after having treatment on what looked like a knee injury.

Hull took advantage and levelled in the 34th minute when Dawson delivered a curling free-kick from the right and Zayatte glanced a header past Paddy Kenny.

United went close to regaining the lead in first-half stoppage time when Billy Sharp headed wide from another Cotterill cross.

Hull appealed unsuccessfully for a penalty early in the second half when Caleb Folan went down as Halford challenged.

The visitors had another good opportunity moments later as Sam Ricketts crossed but Kenny parried Garcia's header.

Myhill was also required to save bravely at the feet of Halford.

Bernard Mendy attempted to unpick the Blades defence but substitute Manucho was unable to make the most of an opportunity in the area.

The game began to fizzle out with neither side able to find a way through in the final 10 minutes.

The teams will now meet again on Thursday 26 February for a place in the last eight.  So the Pearson boys will do battle again for bragging rights.

Went fishing today, packed a lunch and headed out down to the beachIMG_4039 and then scrambled over some rocks till I found a nice IMG_4041 headland and set to work to catch supper.

Before of course I had to have my sandwich.IMG_4042

Well Paco, other wise known as my friend, Frank, I do believe the fishing score is Mexicokid 2   Paco Zippo!!!!IMG_4049 IMG_4052

As usual it was catch and release and I saw many fish close by the rocks but could not entice them and also saw a few flying fish close by they were about 12 inches in length.

I really enjoyed the hours I spent there reflecting on the day.  Came back and swam and read by the pool.

Tonight I was invited by the owners of the Villa to a Rotary charity concert in Ixtapa, the next town over.

Didn’t know what to expect and the first shock was seeing the town all huge expensive glitzy hotels, reminded me of Cancun.

The concert was on the grounds of one of these hotels and it was a group of children ranging in ages from 10 to about 16 and they were very talented especially when I found out they only received their instruments about two months ago.IMG_4061

So as you can tell a very full day tinged with sad moments, reflections and happy times.

My best wishes to everyone and please any kids reading, go hug your MUM!!!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...