Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday 15th September 2014…….the town is wild!!!!

Well here we go with another week and this morning it was yoga for me at 9.30am…I must say that I am happy that after hiking 16 miles on Friday and again yesterday that my body feels really good and the yoga which I find is more stretching so good for me!!!

After yoga I was in town doing some errands and let me tell you the town is packed with tourists all celebrating the holiday weekend….I was home by noon and after lunch got busy with chores…did some laundry and then cooked  myself dinners for three nights and two of them I put in the freezer.

I then washed Little Bluey and Little Blackie and then took it easy for a while…..

I moved the flag

DSC07892

Egrets across the street!!!

DSC07890

As I am doing the English classes three nights this week and because tomorrow is a holiday I did something I do not do very often I had a brainwave…rather than do book work in the classroom I decided to take my students on a field trip.

So just after 6pm when they were all in class I told them to follow me outside and at the gate to the school I told them we were going to go down to the Jardin to see the celebrations but they had to imagine they were in an English speaking country like Canada or Australia and I told them from when we leave the school until we come back they speak only English!!!!!

So off we went about 4 blocks to the Jardin and they were chatting to each other and as instructed in English.

The Jardin was busy and festive!!!!

DSC07893

DSC07897

DSC07894

DSC07905

DSC07901

I followed them around and they were really into this I heard some of them asking to get their faces painted and all in English.

If you can believe it I had another brainwave…two in one day!!!!!

I really wanted them to be feeling they were in a country where only English was spoken and I wanted them to interact with other English speaking people but not me…they know me…so as I was walking around it was obvious they they very few Non Mexicans but I did see one lady having her boots cleaned and never being a shy guy I approached her and explained what I was doing and would she be willing to give me five minutes of her time to help role play and she said she would love to.

This kind lady was named Theresa and I had her stand close by and then I told the students that they were in a town and they needed something and to introduce themselves and ask Theresa for help…then I gave them all different roles..one to ask where the bank was, where the best restaurant was, where the hotel was and I even got Javier to try and ask her for a date……you know it was brilliant they all did so well I could tell they were nervous but they were good and I was so proud of them and Theresa was also right into it and she was such a good sport and in fact we attracted a crowd of people watching and listening..it was a huge success!!

DSC07909

My students and Theresa!!!!!!

Back at class they all told me how much they had enjoyed that!!!!!  I so love being with them they are bright, energetic and really nice people!!!

I was going to stay in  town but the main festivities start at 10pm and I decided to go home instead.

Yashi Kocji!!!!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Great job Les!! I love how you think of different ways for them to practice their English! Well done. Probably their best class ever...

mexicokid said...

thanks it was such a blast to see them and hear them..blessings les

Esther said...

You are a natural at it!

mexicokid said...

it is just so rewarding thanks have a great and safe journey blessings les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...