Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tuesday 29th July 2014....on the road again!!!!

It is either 1pm 8pm or 9pm depending where you are I am somewhere over the eastern tip of Canada in a full plane but with extra leg which just enabled me to spill a whole glass of ice water down my leg and feet good job I am wearing shorts!!!!
So my final morning was a good one said my fond farewells to Janet and Malc drove me to Manchester airport in just under 2 hours and dropped me off and we both agreed it was just a fabulous few months and it will be June of 2016 when I see them again when I come over for their 50th wedding anniversary!!!!
Everything was easy at the airport and the first flight to Iceland arrived on time and i had two hours in Iceland and it was good to be here again and the week I spent in the beginning of May seems a long time ago....I boarded this flight which lands in Seattle in another 4 hours a total of 7 hours in the air...It has been a good flight and I watched a movie that I started on the inward trip but arrived before it ended so I now know what happened......after I write this going to read my book and my newspaper and that should be it.......from the airport I take the fast tram to about 5 minutes from Deb's house where my car is parked and Deb has invited me to stay the night so I am and then plan to start the drive south tomorrow morning heading to Santa Barbara to see Stella and Caron and their families hopefully arriving on Thursday before heading off to see Linda and Guy in Tucson.
Having this time and space gives me some time to reflect on the last 4 months that I have been on the road especially my 6 weeks on the Camino...I am just a little bit concerned because the red welts have returned to my arm and wrist and I am not sure what that means it does not hurt or itch but it is ugly.......the more I think of it i am convinced those bites were the cause of my discomfort the day I walked into Santiago and felt so unwell.
Those weeks are really quite hard to describe to anyone who has not walked the Camino because really how do you describe taking yourself out of your comfort zone out of your wonderful life style and land in a foreign country with just a back pack and a couple of pair of shorts, socks and shirts and walk for 5 weeks not knowing where you will eat, sleep or drink that night..........walking mile after mile seeing no one it is a feeling that did not bother me and as everyone who had told me about the Camino providing......it really DID!!!!!  Never once was I was worried about any of those things.......only once for a day was I worried about shin splints.....and at no time did I ever consider that I would not finish the journey of 535 miles...I just give thanks that my body never let me down not once and I was amazed at how strong i felt.
The emotional side of the journey was another story.....I will not get into all the personal and deep feelings that came over me but suffice it to say I know I am not the same man at the end of this journey that started out in April.... I have made changes in my thinking and i have made changes in my behavior and i think the outcome is a better, more caring and compassionate man.......I shall never forget those 6 weeks the friends I met, the pilgrims I passed and exchanged a few words, the incredible kindness of complete and total strangers and the beautiful scenery that I saw..........so when asked the question now why did I do it I think the answer has to be found in those nine words I heard the second day of my walk...."Like life when it is time it will happen"...things needed to happen for me!!!!
My family have supported me in every move I make and I know Janet and Malc sometimes shake their heads at my choices I know I am a free spirit but i never make it my intention to hurt anyone and i try to smile and say hello to strangers everyday and just be thankful and happy and positive.  These weeks I have gotten closer to all my family every one of them and I delight in spending the time I did with Tom......he is a great kid and the future for him is at his feet.....I also enjoyed being around Andy he is always smiling and his heart is huge.......Sam and Daz are like peas in a pod they are just made for each other..thanks Sam for the things you did for me.....Claire and Mark are forging a wonderful life for them and Tom...well done!!!
To See my Aunt and Uncle again was a joy they look so well and keep so active.....
Shelia and Peter my Mother's side of the family I really enjoyed our visit together and to see Caroline and Charly again!!!
Margaret and Ian we always squeeze in a visit and I enjoyed this one as always.
On Vancouver Island my BANK FAMILY are the best thanks for opening your hearts, family and home to me yet again.....
All my friends you know who you are it was such a joy to see you again and thanks for always being there for me......this is a risk naming names and please if I did miss anyone forgive me!!!!
I think I have rambled on long enough...
Now Tuesday morning early and I am in McDonald's
 I could not get internet at Deb's house last night.....the remainder of the flight was uneventful and easily got the rapid transit to near the house and chatted with Deb for a while and she works early so she went to bed.....so a great journey home now hit the road jack!!!!!
Yashi Kochi!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you had a pleasant flight both Daz and myself really enjoyed spending time with you, you're a special uncle miss you xx

mexicokid said...

yes Sam we had a great time....enjoy yourselves love UNCLE les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...