Saturday, September 01, 2012

Saturday 1st September 2012….Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits and back home on the Bank!!!!!!

Up at 7 am and Janet was already making my sandwiches for my trip…Andy came around just after 8 am and after saying fond farewells to Janet and Malc…Andy and I left for Manchester Airport.

The drive took exactly 2 hours and Andy dropped me at the Departure Terminal..more goodbyes and I was into the line up for Air transit flight.

I was expecting some problems as I knew I was overweight on both my checked baggage and also the carry on bag…time to turn on the Pearson charm!!!!

The young lady at the check in desk was very nice and she told me I was  5kg overweight and I told her it is my Sister in law’s fault because she bought me all these cans of English food to take with me to Mexico so I would not be home sick……she smiled and said no problem.  When it came to my carry on bag I told her before she weighed it that I knew it was was too heavy but again it was my Sister in law’s fault as she worries about me so she packed lots of sandwiches and healthy drinks and more food..this time she laughed and said get out of here and gave me my boarding pass and I was on my way…..Janet you owe me a batch of Wingies( we had a bet that I would get stopped and made to take some stuff out of my bags and I bet no way!!!).

The wait for the flight was an easy one and we left on time at 1pm.

Flight time To Vancouver is 9 hours and 20 minutes I changed my watch to Vancouver time and it is now about 4 hours into the flight and so far so good….the meal was terrible and I did not eat it so thank goodness for Janet and her sandwiches!!!

The sun is shining outside and I have an exit row aisle seat so lots of leg room it was worth the extra $60 dollars…..

So now I have some time to think about where I have been since I left Nanaimo on 1st June……first of all it was great to be with my family, we are a small family but very close and I even got to see second and third cousins!!!

Spending all that time with Janet and Malc was awesome I think we got along really well and I know they will both be happy I am gone and now they can get back to their normal lives with no one teasing them twenty four seven.  Thank you for everything you did for me…..I admire and look up to both of you for the way you live your lives!!!!

The three weeks we spent in the Caravan going through Europe was just the best I saw places that I had not seen since I was  a kid and I also saw places that were on my bucket list…..the big cities, the museums, the people in all these places and the oceans and the mountains just incredible.

Then it was 6 weeks back packing!!!!  This was new to me and I had some apprehension about how it would be but there was not one day where I was not happy and I had no issues or problems at all.  I stayed in beautiful accommodations, met the most amazing people and the sights…what can I say. I have seen the wonders of this universe and I am glad I have my blog to remind me in months to come of the trip it was.

17 countries and 2 Continents……..I would go back to all the countries in a flash!!

 

So now I get to thinking about the next stage of my life and moving to San Miguel to live.  Another big change but one I embrace.

The plans for the next few weeks apart from visiting and spending time with fiends is centered around me selling Ramona…..I shall try my best and even approach a dealer and would like to sell her in the next two weeks. If that happens I shall buy a small hatchback car and drive down to San Miguel leaving around 18th September.

If she does not sell I will park her up for the Winter and fly down to San Miguel leaving about the same time…but sure hope she sells!!!

The other big event is on the 15th September when I do the charity 56 km walk around Lake Cowichan….looking forward to that and thanks to those who have sent me donations….very kind!!

In San Miguel I shall be house sitting Linda and Guy’s lovely casa until they come down.  Whilst doing this I shall look for an apartment and I know I will get just the right place for me.

Being close to the girls is paramount for me and I know that Paola is staying with her Mum but when I get there I shall investigate the possibilities of me staying in contact with her and still being a part of her life.  There are also some changes happening at Casa Hogar so again I will wait till I get there and find out how that impacts me.  Daniela knows I am arriving soon and I have been told she is really happy about that.

Already I am getting back in touch with my tennis groups, also the regular Wednesday afternoon poker group and catching up with my many friends.  San Miguel is alive with opportunities to study just about anything and there seems always something happening and usually for a great price.  So I am really excited to get going on that part of my life.

My bucket list is still long and just to whet your appetite why don’t you Google the following places that are on my horizon in the next few years!!

Machu Picchu Peru

Kaieteur waterfall..Guyana

Angel Falls   Venezuela

Argentina

New Zealand

South African Safari

Thailand

Iceland

Ireland

Scotland (again)

Wales

The most challenging one is the Camino Santiago….a 500 mile pilgrimage from France to Spain!!!

 

That should be enough for a while.

Well now it is 9 pm and I am ready for bed..the rest of the flight was uneventful and arrived on time in Vancouver at 2.30pm caught the free shuttle bus to the sea plane terminal and at 4pm arrived in Nanaimo where Heather was there to greet me.

My room looks wonderful and great to se the boys and Kirby again….Heather cooked a wonderful meal and lots of stories around the dinner table……..so feels good to be back on the Bank and it is amazing how far one cam travel and such a short time span….

Yashi Kochi

3 comments:

Kevin Read said...

What a great summer you had and we are following just behind. We didn't do nearly as many countries as you but we've been enjoying the places we have been. As you say backpacking is totally different but like you we haven't had a bad moment and have embraced everything that has come our way.

Good luck with the sale of the motorhome, I hope you get it sold fast.

Your bucket list looks much like ours. It will take some time to accomplish it though but no worries, there is lots of time.

Kevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

mexicokid said...

thanks I really enjoyed Europe as i see you are both doing!!!The bucket list keeps growing..back home now so Ramona to be sold is step one travel safe Les

Paula and Jerry said...

Welcome back to Canada, you old Plonker!!!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...